Hack: Spaced repetition with markdown files using Mac OS X saved searches

I use a very simple manual spaced repetition system with my markdown files right now on Mac. This is a very simple solution outside of Obsidian but you can use Obsidian to write and organize the notes to be reviewed.

It is based on the Leitner box system where you put content from box 1 (new) to box (standard system has 5).

When I first review or want to review a card, I add the tag #box1 to the markdown file. I give the file the question name and write the answer in the body.

Example: Filename How does mdfinds logical and work.md, the answer in the body.

To find all cards to review, I have saved searched folder that searches for (or kMDItemTextContent = "#box1" if you use mdfind directly.

I can then review all cards that the saved search shows me. As the saved search is a regular file listing, I can also sort by creation and update date.

I double-click the file to see whether I knew the answer and update to #box2 (etc.) if I answered correctly.

There might be similar simple solutions for Windows and Linux, but I do not use these systems.

4 Likes

Seems novel but wouldn’t it be easier to drag and drop files in separate folders as boxes? I believe you can also drag and drop them to the finder tags in sidebar. But regardless, I don’t see much utility here as having all filenames as questions doesn’t make sense for many, if not all, notes. So we are giving up better note names for srs, and we are only getting a kludgy one at that too so it’s worse really. Don’t mean to put your idea down, just pointing out that sometimes it’s better to use systems for what they are intended for.

I do think using Finder tags might come in handy for some other cases especially if one is in the Apple ecosystem.

No worries, if you don’t find it useful, use what works for you.

I use this system as it is super easy for me and does not closely tie my system to Apple’s tagging system as in your proposal. All information about the boxes is in the markdown note and if Obsidian (or anything else) picks up a tag based SRS system, I can use my notes there as well.

wouldn’t it be easier to drag and drop files in separate folders as boxes?

I would loose the information about the status of one single note then. I like to keep the status in the markdown.

doesn’t make sense for many, if not all, notes

I always use simple QA type names and notes (see one example) so it solves my case – but might not solve yours or anyone else’s.

just pointing out that sometimes it’s better to use systems for what they are intended for.

I only use Apple’s search to search for the text content. The search is blazingly fast. So yes, I just use the system for what’s it intended for. Finding notes that I want to review.

I have another solution that I have posted here: