[FR] Obsidian on Android doesn't work without storage permission

Platform

[ ] iOS
[X] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v0.1.1

When I run Obsidian for the first time, it requests the storage permission which allows it to access everything saved on my phone. I don’t trust Obsidian and thus I don’t want it to be able to do that. But if I don’t give Obsidian this permission, it doesn’t work.

Instead of requesting the storage permission, Obsidian should either

1. Save the vault in either Android/data/md.obsidian or Android/media/md.obsidian. AFAIK, it can access these directories without any permissions.
  2. or ask the user where to keep the vault, let the user choose a directory and ask for access only to that directory.
  1. Obsdian uses a shared location “/Documents” so that other apps can access the files (e.g. third party sync services) or add stuff.
    This is feature not a bug.

2. Even with storage permission enabled, Obsdian can’t access other apps private data.

I am gonna relabel this as FR.

Even with storage permission enabled, Obsdian can’t access other apps private data.

That’s false. It can access my photos, everything I sync using syncthing, files I download from my Nextcloud using the Nextcloud app, all files I download from Telegram.

Obsdian uses a shared location “/Documents” so that other apps can access the files (e.g. third party sync services) or add stuff.

That’s probably possible without android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE if Obsidian instead just asks me where I want to keep my vault and lets me choose the “/Documents/vaultname” directory.

Yeah, but those are not in other app’s privata data, that’s sharable media files.

I understand your POV and I am also aware that there are recent changes in Androind 11 API regarding FS access.

In the future, we’ll look if it’s possible to use private location or a public location with scooped access (hoping that it is compatible with the file watcher we rely on).

1 Like