Folding in preview

Great idea!

How is it supposed to look anyway? I enabled the features already, but Idk where the collapsing is supposed to happen?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it now. It didnt happen right away.

I just found out that you can download Notion as markdown files which blew my mind. Unfortunately on of the tools that I would like that it would work as Notion it is the toggle list. I found this GitHub site where they give a Markdown code for toggles, however, it does not work on Obsidian. Here you can check it, I hope it gets implemented in a Notion way, and even cooler that we could zoom in specific areas like in Dynalist : )

5 Likes

I would love to see this feature in preview mode as well. As a student it would help to see the headings and review the information that is folded in before actually reading the material.

3 Likes

I also would love both of these things - fold in preview at the very least, and save folded state as well. Without these, I actually don’t see the point of folding whatsoever…

Right now, it’s only possible to collapse lists / headings in Edit mode. This seems like something that should be possible also in the Preview mode.

Also, this ties in to the other request here about “remembering collapsed status.” If it gets implemented in Preview mode, there might be a neat way to remember collapsed status between Preview/Edit modes. Currently, if you collapse a heading/list in Edit, switch to Preview, then switch back, you lose the collapsed view despite not having switched to a different file.

(Possibly a bug report, given expected / current behavior? I’ll leave it here for now.)

29 Likes

I use the collapse feature as an organization and layouting feature. I think that it can help a lot in the preview mode and not only on the edit mode.

1 Like

I actually take some time at the preview mode to try to collapse the list, until I realise it is only implemented in the edit mode.

Is there a hotkey that can be assigned for “collapse/expand present item”? Ideally, one that toggles open and closed? It would be great to have. OmniFocus has a very good implementation: in the outline view there, you can collapse/expland one or all items. What I would really love is also to have a way to collapse (fold) all but the present block. That would really show the advantages of the document-based, headings-within-a-page approach: an evergreen note might be 4 pages long when fully expanded, but if there where eight h2 headings, I could quickly switch to looking at only a half-page of text (with all but one heading collapsed).

1 Like

Desperately need toggle lists in preview mode

Same here. Desperately in need of toggle folding in preview mode, this can help transform obsidian as a powerful learning tool!

And keep them expanded/collapsed. Whenever I change from editor to preview mode all lists are expanded again. :angry:

This is crucial in making and organizing outlines. A lot of my daily tasks have sub-tasks, too. I’d love to be able to hide information by toggling bullets.

25 Likes

Agreed! Though, I can’t even figure out how to collapse them at all (in either mode).

1 Like

In settings -> editor, there are two options for folding. One to enable it on headings, and one to enable it on lists.

1 Like

Not in preview mode, though.
And also they doesn’t keep the collapse status after reopening.
Which is what this Feature request is for.

4 Likes

+1 for this. Also it’d be nice to have a keyboard shortcut to collapse all and to be able to have things collapsed in preview mode as well.

3 Likes

I would really like the feature of a collapse all / expand all button.

I know there is a WYSIWYG editor planed and for that I don’t think a “remember the folding state” feature hast to implemented now, if it gets discarded anyway (it’s probably not worth the effort).

But a simple button that will collapse/expand all, seems (without any programming experience) easy to do and would save a lot(!) of time.
So even if it gets expanded when opening, it’s just one click to get an organized view.

To have such a feature in the near future would be awesome!

+1 for mac

Definitely a +1 for me! It’s useful for when I just want an overview of the headings / bullets on a single page quickly.

+1 for windows