Folding in preview

+1 for me

I’ve been playing around with BBEdit as an external editor. So far, it seems to remember the folding state. I much prefer other editors, but it’s been great for some heavy lifting.

+1 I would love this!

This is the only feature that is keeping me from completely migrating all my notes from Notion and Dynalist to Obsidian.

Why?

Having a neat and clean writing space is crucial for me to think clearly and construct my thoughts on to paper (in this case, my computer screen) and I’m sure I’m not the only one.
It isn’t out of the ordinary to easily get lost when I get in too deep into writing, if that makes sense. In such instances, navigating through the thoughts I’ve written down gets a bit difficult.

In order to avoid such clutters, I usually use the toggle list feature when I’m writing. This enables me to easily open and close “chunks” of my noted thoughts. Toggle Lists, in a way, behave like checkpoints within my writings, helping me to plot a route through whatever I’ve written down.

Now, Dynalist has this feature built into it’s “nature”. And Notion.so has “toggle lists”.

Technically Obsidian has the toggle feature too but it only works with Headings and only works in edit mode :feelsbadman: . It would be a blessing to have this feature work on its own, like have a special markdown syntax like “>>” for toggle lists. It would work exactly like bullet point lists except you would be able to expand/collapse the “children” bullet points. With Toggle lists its very easy to keep things neat and organized.

Another advantage Toggle lists have over Bullet Point lists is not having to deal with the hassle of scrolling back and forth

If anybody is confused as to what in the world I am talking about: hopefully this will help:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider implementing this feature. I’m already on the Obsidian bandwagon and I intend to stay on board for a very long time. I’ve never had so much fun writing on any other application but the absence of this feature is the only cause of hindrance to my flow of work.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed write-up.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think this is a “if” question for the developers—more a “when” question, and I think it hinges on WYSIWYG development. I don’t know anything for sure though, and more “upvotes” certainly help the devs prioritize! :wink:

4 Likes

Just how many MORE upvotes would make this feature request MORE relevant! :wink:

2 Likes

We’ll only know when it happens, won’t we?! :chart_with_upwards_trend:

2 Likes

+1 Mac OSX
Please WYSIWYG editor
and toggle lists!!! :pray:

1 Like

This is implemented in 0.9.7.

(The fold state is not (yet) remembered.)

4 Likes

We will add header folding in an upcoming release.

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/obsidian-release-v0-9-11-insider-build/8092

5 Likes

Yo…I just spit my beer when I read that. Thank y’all!

3 Likes

This made me chuckle!

Would be great, now that folding in preview works, that it would sync over to edit mode as well. Ex:
You fold down a header in preview, switch to edit, it’s folded there too. At the moment, these things doesn’t sync. Same way, if you have something folded in edit, you would want it folded in preview as well.

2 Likes

Do you mind creating a new feature request for this? It will likely be lost as this thread is archived.

2 Likes

OK, added a post here.

2 Likes

+1. I hope this feature will be implemented.

it has been implemented

2 Likes

@WhiteNoise I see. Sorry about that. I need to dig deep. Do you mind pointing where I can find it?

Usually, the best way is to search the Announcements in the release notes, e.g.

You should also be able to find it in the settings to experiment a little bit with it.

I’m going to archive this thread now! If there are further questions please make a new post in #help.