Folder Note Plugin: Add description note to folder

Thanks for these hints, it may save much time for me.

Thanks, I forgot that your plug-in can do that. But is your plug-in is compatible with xpgo’s? My understanding is that they are basically the same thing just using different algorithms

They do different things. Mine lets you treat a note as if it were a folder, xpgo’s lets you treat a folder like it’s a note. :wink:

What’s the difference, you may ask. Well, mine means you can move or rename a note using its title pane and the move command, and the folder (and any contents) will move along with it. (I like this because I normally rename and move from the notes, not the file manager, because I prefer keyboard commands to mouse ones where practical.)

xpgo’s on the other hand, will hide the note in the file manager and open the note if you click on the folder. It should be compatible with mine if you set it to “inside” mode and disable its autorename function. (Which is the only part that conflicts with mine.)

So yes, you can use both, you just will likely have problems if you don’t use compatible settings for xpgo’s, because its autorename renames the note to match the folder, and mine renames/moves the folder to match the note. Mine supports link auto-updating in such a case, and xpgo’s does not. So having both autorename functions enabled at the same time is likely to cause problems. xpgo’s plugin has other features besides autorename, however, that you can still use, while mine is like 99% autorenaming by volume. :wink:

2 Likes

Well, then that’s just what I want. I want file hierarchy mostly for organizing, using file explorer is not convenient, I want to ultimately depend on keyboard 99% of the time.
How can I install it? I downloaded the files but there no guide about how to put and name them inside .obsidian/plugins. I wish it was on third-party plugins already.

Download the zip file, unpack it in the plugins directory so that there is an .obsidian/plugins/note-folder-autorename folder with main.js and manifest.json in there. Then go into Obsidian’s settings, Community Plugins, then click the refresh icon (spinning arrows). You should then see the plugin listed as installed, and just need to flip the switch to turn it on.

I have a pending request to add it to the community plugins registry, but it was held up on a pending change to Obsidian that will allow plugins like mine to do what it does more safely. The latest insider release now has that safety feature, and I’ll be updating the plugin accordingly. But in the meantime you can still install manually as described.

1 Like

Thanks. For some reason Github confuses me. Eventho I have done it before still was not sure.

Bear in mind that the plugin, once activated, basically has no user interface, except for the command to turn a note into a note-folder. It just silently handles renames and moves for notes that are in a folder with the same name.

If you move the note to another folder, the plugin will move the folder alongside the moved note, then move the note back inside the folder. If you use the mode where notes are created alongside the current note, then anything you create while viewing that note will end up in the folder alongside it. If you rename the note, the folder will be renamed to match.

Basically, it just makes this particular workflow work without you needing to think about it or do anything to maintain it.

1 Like

Yes that can smooth the workflow a lot. I think also adding options to it could be useful. Like creating a folder inside that note-folder just to save some regular stuff. That can be customized by the user.

Also, what mode do you mean? That creates notes alongside the main note? Never heard of such a thing here.

Love this plugin and have one question. Is it possible or how to add my own “brief:” and “foot:” in the notes themselves? Using YAML like “— brief: blabla —” is not working and generating a snippet from all the first characters in the note that can be edited only by hand in the folder ccard note and can’t in the live version.

Like creating a folder inside that note-folder just to save some regular stuff.

I don’t understand. If you want to create another folder, just create it (in the file manager).

Also, what mode do you mean? That creates notes alongside the main note?

In Obsidian’s “Files & Links” settings page, there is an option “Default Location For New Notes”, which you can set to “Same folder as current file”. If it’s set that way, then any time you create a new note, it will by default be placed in the same folder as the note you were just on. So if you use that setting then view a folder note, any new notes you create will go in that folder until you visit a note in another folder.

1 Like

I mean of course, repeating same structure for different types. For example, when I want to develop a subject from one note and making it into a notebook, also make a sub-folder for every web-clipping I want to collect about that subject.

In Obsidian’s “Files & Links” settings page, there is an option “Default Location For New Notes”, which you can set to “Same folder as current file”. If it’s set that way, then any time you create a new note, it will by default be placed in the same folder as the note you were just on. So if you use that setting then view a folder note, any new notes you create will go in that folder until you visit a note in another folder.

I know about that feature and always use it, I think your plug-in would work with that feature very well.

You may use the command: Ctrl+P and find “Insert Folder Overview” to insert YAML codes of the current folder brief, then edit the YAML codes to what ever you want.

For the live version, it extracts all the headings in a note and trancates the first 32 characters as brief of the note. So you may use the headings in a note for brief.

Here is what I want to achieve https://i.imgur.com/CfOkWvd.png (trilium). Hand editing every item would be too much in this case and pasting the description in the heading would not look good. Here is Obsidian https://i.imgur.com/5Dg2e1B.png with a live version on top and what I want to achieve with autogeneration on the bottom.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am thinking of taking the first paragraph of a note as its brief which will be similar to your description. At the begining, I thought some notes may have no text, so I used the headings. I will improve it in the next release.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this plugin! Im a newb and this is quite central to a project I’m working on : )

I’ve installed yesterday both your note-folder-autorename and xpgo’s Folder Note plugin (with ‘note file method’ set to ‘inside’ and with autorename ‘off’). It works fine creating folder-notes, but when I rename one - I get a warning “Cannot read property ‘path’ of null” and any child folder-notes revert to folders, as I guess lose their link to the note , and the note is not shown in the folder tree despite them still sharing the same name. Any thoughts on correcting this?

Also, do you know if folder notes will publish ok (via obsidian publish)?

Do you still get that error if xpgo’s plugin is disabled? What version of Obsidian are you on?

As for Obsidian Publish, I’ve never used it but I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work just fine, in the sense that links to notes will work normally. If you mean, “will it allow you to go to a folder note when you click on the folder”, that’s not something my plugin does even in regular Obsidian.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

Disabled xpgo’s plugin, restarted obsidian and tried renaming a note that has same name as fodder and it says same error “Cannot read property ‘path’ of null” - but renames it fine. The error also comes up when I change the note name back to the same as the folder. However, this doesn’t happen with notes with a different name to the folder, nor to notes in folders that have no child folders.

I’m using obsidian v0.11.0.

Thanks for the plug-in ! I use Obsidian as my entry-point for almost every thing on my computer (every thing project-related in folders, ressources management, journalling, etc.) and your plug-in was exactly what I was looking for to handle my folder indices.

What version of note-folder-autorename are you using? Is it 0.0.2 or 0.1.0?

This is an extremely helpful plugin, and thank you for creating it! I still make extensive use of folders, and this plugin is very useful for keeping track of everything and, essentially, making the folder into a note.

Feature request: In the ccard, show ALL the documents in the folder (Microsoft Word, etc.), not just the Markdown documents. I use a lot of Microsoft Word documents.

Thanks!