Fine-Tuning Notes for Search Priority

I’m new to Obsidian and couldn’t find any information on this topic, so I apologize if it’s been covered. Let’s say I have two notes: “Habits” and “Sleep.” The “Habits” note has a section about sleep, so I get hits from both notes after searching for “sleep.” However, because “Habits” precedes “Sleep” alphabetically, the former note appears higher up in the search results list, even though the “Sleep” note is more relevant. What is the best strategy for ensuring that the “Sleep” note is prioritized in search results?

1. You can search by filename with an operator → file:Sleep
  2. You can use a tag for priority. An operator for tag should be implemented.
  3. Sorting options for results should be implemented.
  4. You can read about the eventuality of a block reference feature/plugin → Block reference
1 Like
  1. Do you mean just placing “#” before the search term? Or is there another operator for tags?
  2. Are you saying that sorting options will be made available in the future? Or is there a way to implement them now? I didn’t see any mention of them in the help vault.
  3. This looks very promising. Thanks!
  1. There is no tag: operator at the moment. If you add a tag to your note (for example #Sleep or #Priority) you can search for the note by using the tag as a search term.
  2. There isn’t right now, but the need for sorting options is obvious so I think it will be implemented in Obsidian core before entering stable. Same for missing search operators, like tag:
  3. Yep, it’s essential but the developers seems reluctant to the idea. At least there is a plugin possibility.
1 Like

A tag: search operator and sorting search results is coming in the near-future.

1 Like