File Explorer Custom Sort

Where I came from as well. Out of curiosity, do you also miss subpages?

3 Likes

In the starred pane, currently it has already allow custom sort.

In file explorer for custom sort, I believe it will happen.

1 Like

yeah only way to solve this for now is the rename folder with A/B/C/ or 1/2/3…
sadly

2 Likes

+1. (Also coming from Scrivener.) It’d make actual writing projects much easier. Now I also just name the files 00_xxx 01_xx etc., but not ideal.

1 Like

Relevant discussion:

related requests:

3 Likes

(off topic) IMHO, you can create “subpage” by creating link in the main-page like
![[MainPageName/SubpageFilename]], Then open the link and edit the “subpage”.

Dedicated threads:

2 Likes

That’s a pretty clever way of doing it. The main problem (still kind of minor) would be collapsing subpages in file explorer.
The other implementation that I would like to would be to treat folders and files with the same name as a single item, akin to Scrivener’s system.

2 Likes

Small QOL feature: I would love to be able to manually reorder my list of folders in file list instead of alphabetical or most recent. The current work around is putting numbers/prefixes to order them a certain way, but theres downsides to that obviously

Also I believe starred list only orders in most recently added, would be nice to be able to rearrange them too!

27 Likes

+1 this seems a little thing but for me would be a big improvement in my workflow and I hate having to put numbers in file names and directories

5 Likes

+1 for this

3 Likes

yesssss +1

3 Likes

The notes in the stared panel are ordered according to the time when they are marked as stared.
However, some time, I need to check the stared notes based on some other orders, eg. the alphabet of the file name. Moreover, this requirement on the ordering may change frequently.
If stared note can be re-arranged in the stared panel, that will be very convenient.

4 Likes

This would be super helpful. It’s a small feature that’s always been available on older apps like Cherry Tree.

8 Likes

I second that MUCH. That would give Obsidian high-level outliner capabilities found in pro writing software.

2 Likes

Older apps designed as hierarchical outliners with a database.

Doing it in Obsidian would require storing sequence data between sessions.

Personally, I wouldn’t want that in the main app, but could be done in a plugin.

4 Likes

I understand that Obsidian is no Scrivener (or CherryTree), yet if it would be open towards these manual hierarchical features, it would beat these tools at their own game very fast.

5 Likes

If you’re interested, I think a current workaround is having Ulysses work with your vault (or a folder in your vault). I have not dug deep into that workflow but it seems to be possible.

That’s exactly it, a workaround, no more. :wink: We’re using Obsidian to get rid of previous workarounds with lesser apps.

1 Like

Well, yes, I am well aware and I am even agreeing with this request. Just saying this to help in the meantime. I am surprised by your tone.

1 Like

Thank you for your Ulysses suggestion, and apologies if my tone upset you. I guess I’ll try to remain less informal on these threads.

2 Likes