[Mobile] Make Sync icon always visible

Jopp from discord gave me an improvement idea which makes it easier to experiment with the sync icon location.

The changes are highlighted in bold:
:is(.is-mobile, .is-phone) .workspace:not(:has(.workspace-drawer-backdrop)) .sync-status-icon {
position: absolute;
left: calc(-1 * 64px);
top: 4px;
}

This is the original code from sailKite, with adjustments that work well for my screen size (iPhone 11) as well as iPad:

/* attempt to display sync icon on mobile while drawer is closed */
:is(.is-mobile, .is-phone) .workspace:not(:has(.workspace-drawer-backdrop)) .workspace-drawer.mod-right {
    display: flex !important;
    overflow: visible;
    left: 100%;
}
:is(.is-mobile, .is-phone) .workspace:not(:has(.workspace-drawer-backdrop)) .workspace-drawer.mod-right .workspace-drawer-inner {
}
:is(.is-mobile, .is-phone) .workspace:not(:has(.workspace-drawer-backdrop)) .sync-status-icon {
    left: calc(-1 * 37px);
    top: -5px;
}

2 Likes

For now I’m going with -1 * 36px (I tried putting it between the 3-dot and the reading mode icon which it looks like is what you did, but it felt too cramped to me). For top I did 49px on iPad Air 4 (to move it down next to the the 3-dot instead of the sidebar button) and 9px on iPhone 13.

I tried moving it down to the lower right corner. It looked pretty good, but the keyboard covers it and it’s more glanceable up top anyway.

Now I want to learn how to move the 3-dot menu left or right so I can space things more evenly, and then I think I’ll be done.

1 Like

The -1*37px and -5 move it all the way to the top right corner on my iPhone 11.
One could also consider moving it left next to the left sidebar button , but I’m very happy now with the implementation.
Btw I haven’t discovered any other issues or things breaking so far :blush:
Edit: hail to the sailkite :raised_hands::clap:

Oh, maybe I’ll try that on my phone.

Current phone:

& iPad:

And yes, hail to sailKite!

EDIT: Going with -5px on phone, -13px (and moved another 2px to the right) on iPad.

1 Like
  • 1 for this feature request

This is brilliant! Thank you to everyone in this thread for the good ideas.

I’ve added some CSS to nudge the “three dots” icon to the left so there’s some breathing room between it and the checkmark. For me, this makes it easier to press the icon I intend.

Please see the attached screenshot from my Android phone and the CSS code below. (You may need to play with the 23px in the code to suit your screen.)

:is(.is-mobile, .is-phone) .workspace:not(:has(.workspace-drawer-backdrop)) .view-actions {
  padding-right: 23px;
}
2 Likes

This works perfectly on my iPhone, thank you so much! Tagging @CawlinTeffid

1 Like

Beautiful! :smiley:

The change ceases to apply when I open the left sidebar, which looks awkward but doesn’t cause any practical problems. It’s more noticeable on my tablet; on the phone the sidebar covers it so I only see it during the transition. EDIT: Actually it’s not that awkward. At some point in my number adjustments it caused an overlap, but now it only causes some movement.

Use case or problem

i cannot tell when obsidian is not synced/hasn’t synced on android

Proposed solution

add a syncing indicator
similar to the one on the desktop app.
Screenshot_1

Current workaround (optional)

Related feature requests (optional)

is there a reason why this feature hasn’t been added? it would seem like an easy feature to implement.

There are infinite possible features and only a handful of developers. Not all users use Sync and it’s already possible to check the sync status by swiping open the right sidebar (which has no visible control on phones — argh! :tired_face:). And the small screen space of phones forces tough decisions.

did you mean swiping to the right which opens the drawer. the drawer opens from the left. i don’t see the syncing indicator in the drawer.

No, swipe open from the right side — there’s another sidebar.

Swiping is the only way to open it (other than the “Toggle right sidebar” command). There’s no button for it. Which, yes, is annoying.

1 Like

thanks, solved my issue

If you’d like the icon always visible instead of hidden in the sidebar, see the snippet and its variants in this thread.

If you’d like to set separate values for iPad and iPhone, on each of the starting lines with :is, you can remove both conditions (.is-mobile, .is-phone) and use just (.is-phone) or (.is-tablet) to distinguish between the two. You’ll need to duplicate the code. This works with dynamically resizing the window with stage manager on iPad, when it is switches to a phone size it uses the correct one.

1 Like

I added the snippet to rotate the icon while syncing. I am satisfied, especially on mobile, as it is now easier to detect the sync status.

(I changed the padding of .sync-status-icon to 0 for smooth animation. So you need to adjust the position of the icon again).

padding: 0;
}

/* Animation */
.sync-status-icon.mod-working{
  animation: linear 2s sync_working infinite;
}

@keyframes sync_working {
  from { transform: rotate(0deg); }
  to { transform: rotate(360deg); }
}

I leave here the CSS classes for each icons related to Obsidian Sync. You should be able to change the icons to your favorites and customize them further!

/* Icons */
.sync-status-icon.mod-success{}
.sync-status-icon.mod-working{}
.sync-status-icon.mod-error{}
3 Likes

For convenience, here is my current full version of the snippet, which incorporates changes discussed above:

/* 
Display sync icon on mobile while drawer is closed. 

Numbers may need to be tweaked for each device.

Original version kindly provided by sailKite. "no warranties for damages, this is gonna be scuffed" https://discord.com/channels/686053708261228577/702656734631821413/1078468316592615514 
*/

:is(.is-mobile, .is-phone) .workspace:not(:has(.workspace-drawer-backdrop)) .workspace-drawer.mod-right {
    display: flex !important;
    left: 100%;
}
:is(.is-mobile, .is-phone) .workspace:not(:has(.workspace-drawer-backdrop)) .workspace-drawer.mod-right .workspace-drawer-inner {
}
:is(.is-mobile) .workspace:not(:has(.workspace-drawer-backdrop)) .sync-status-icon {
    left: calc(-1 * 52px); /*74*/
    top: 52px;
}
:is(.is-phone) .workspace:not(:has(.workspace-drawer-backdrop)) .sync-status-icon {
	  left: calc(-1 * 46px); /*74*/
    top: 12px;
}

/* Move 3-dot menu to make room for Sync icon. (Courtesy of jijo https://forum.obsidian.md/t/feature-make-sync-icon-always-visible/31780/12) */
:is(.is-mobile) .workspace:not(:has(.workspace-drawer-backdrop)) .view-actions {
  padding-right: 32px;
}
:is(.is-phone) .workspace:not(:has(.workspace-drawer-backdrop)) .view-actions {
  padding-right: 23px;
}

(I’m also using snowynest’s animation from the post before this one but I keep it in a separate snippet.) EDIT 2023-10-18: Rotation animation is now a default feature.

Occasionally the icon gets layered on top of the menu icon, but rotating the device fixes it.

6 Likes

+1 This is a must have for folks using sync.

I would prefer sync work in the background, but since that’s apparently impossible (for now) this is a much needed visual indicator.

I would also love to be able to force a sync since sometimes it seems to hang and take some time before a sync is initiated.

The CSS snippet is super useful! Have you been able to work out why the icon occasionally gets layered on top of the menu icon? That’s happening on my iPhone and is a bit annoying. It’s otherwise pretty perfect.