[Mobile] Widget for daily note

The recent addition of widgets for Bear made me wish I could have daily notes from obsidian in a widget on my iOS homescreen.

I currently use 1writer with Dropbox to manage my Obsidian vault from iOS, but it doesn’t support widgets (yet).

Do you guys know of any way to create a widget that pulls in the content of the daily note of the current day? Preferably rendered markdown, but plaintext would be awesome too.

4 Likes

A vague idea that’s probably not be very helpful: Scriptable, which is a bridge between iOS APIs and a JavaScript scripting engine, could perhaps pull the content of your daily note from Dropbox and display it on a widget. Here’s a thread of marvelous ideas for Scriptable widgets:

1 Like

What I do know is that with Apple Shortcuts I have designed a template that creates and opens a note/(Zettel) with Tags and Headers in 1Writer on my iPad Pro, immediately. It is then available in Obsidian on my MacMini whenever I get to it. Each, 1Writer and Obsidian, are synced to the same folder in iCloud. And, 1Writer has a Widget. YMMV

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve been trying Scriptable out, I feel like this is probably going to have to be the way.

1writer has a widget? Are you on beta?

In case anyone stumbles upon this

I found this article about an app that allows pulling text through shortcuts: https://thesweetsetup.com/using-widgetpack-to-make-custom-widgets-and-increase-my-productivity/

Haven’t tried it out yet, but this should work with 1writer

No, I’m using iPadOS 14.1 Public Release. If you have 1Writer installed, on the Home Page swipe to the bottom of the Widgets list, select edit, select customize, scan down the list for 1Writer (if it’s not already in the top section list select the green icon to add it to the available selections, then add it to the Home Page list.

Ah yes that’s the legacy Today widget. I’m talking about the iOS14 homescreen widgets. But thanks!

I would like to add to this request that I would be satisfied with a Lock Screen (iOS 16) widget button that opens up the daily note.

1 Like

Yes me too. Being able to go straight to todays daily note, or create a new one, from the iOS lock screen would be great.

1 Like

This is definitely doable. There are iOS apps that allow you to set-up 4 custom lockscreen icons. You can set up one of those icons to open an URL - and that URL will be obsidian:// something, opening up Obsidian app on the phone and going straight to the daily note.

Thanks. Interesting!
I wonder if there is an obsidian link which goes to the daily note whatever the day?

If you install the Advanced URI plugin you can achieve this with something like:

obsidian://advanced-uri?daily=true

1 Like

Are you using iOS or Android?

iOS
Android

Is this a bug report or a feature request?

Bug report
Feature request

iPadOS widget for Daily Note (for starters 😉)

4 Likes

Continue discussion here: