[Mobile] Handle Direct opening of files in Files app (iOS)

Use case or problem

Now that the iOS mobile folder in iCloud is cordoned off from the rest of files (no dragging or moving to or from outside the folder), when one clicks a markdown file, it opens Obsidian but not the file in Obsidian. Since the Files app is easier to navigate for certain types of browsing, and has Spotlight, it would be great if the file actually opened in Obsidian on selection, not just the app.

Proposed solution

Click on a markdown file in the iCloud Obsidian folder and it opens the file in Obsidian.

Current workaround (optional)

I have a shortcut launched via the share sheet in Files that forms an x-callback command to open the file in Obsidian and executes it. Works like a charm but is a few more extra clicks than the proposed solution.

Related feature requests (optional)

4 Likes

Hi there! My first post here and so I’d like to drop a quick thank you to the creators for the incredible work.

I would like to second DGGoingUphill’s request. The current behaviour seems to be a slight bug, since the correct app is opened, but not the note itself.

This would be extremely useful also because file management can be tedious in the app, especially since drag & drop is missing. Moving / deleting / organising is much easier in the Files app, and the ability to manipulate Markdown files within the file system is one of my favourite aspects of the Desktop app.

Thanks for considering this request!

Being a user of iOS Linux and occasionally windows I’m missing a part of my use case but have found an app called 1Writer for now on mobile creating and editing my notes. Not an issue but hoping that there’s some wiggle room with iOS and Dropbox sync use for Obsidian in future!