"Failed to load "[Name of the file].md". Ranges must be added sorted by `from` position and `startSide`

Hi all, I’m trying to troubleshoot this and can’t find anything about it here on the Forum. Has anyone had the same issue? I’m new to Obsidian, coming from Notion. Here’s an exemple: the file itself is a simple daily note containing:

:RiTaskLine: Tasks

• call [Name of the Person] :date: 2024-04-14 [[Overdue]]

:OcPeople16: Meetings

:BoBxPencil: Notes

:RiDeleteBin6Line: Etc

after i create it and write some content down, it doesn’t open back up when clicked, it returns the error “Failed to load “[Name of the file].md”. Ranges must be added sorted by from position and startSide

I’m getting this on other notes as well, though not all of them. I first had this while using the PDF++ annotation feature to copy quotes from a PDF to a note, and when I closed it, it wouldn’t reopen. So every time I closed the note on Obsidian, I had to open the .md file on another app [I used Notepad++], copy all content, delete from the .md, save the empty file, then open the empty note in Obsidian and paste all the content back there so I could keep working. And then this happened with a much simpler file as well that should be easier to troubleshoot.

I thought it might be some incompatibility with the icon packs, so I edited them out [opened the .md file in Notepad++, deleted, saved it and opened on Obsidian again]. Didn’t help. So I deleted the only content on the note, the “- call [Name of the Person] :date: 2024-04-14 [[Overdue]]” line. And then it opened on Obsidian like it should have. What’s going on here? This is driving me crazy!!

I don’t understand what the error message means, “Ranges must be added sorted by from position and startSide”. Any help is MUCH appreciated.

You can find a set of troubleshooting steps below:

Those steps include testing with no community plugins, and making sure to update your Obsidian installer, and update any plugins.

The iconize plugin was causing some trouble recently. I think it was fixed, but you’d have to update the plugin. (And don’t forget to test with no plugins to make sure that was it.)

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.