Example Workflows in Obsidian

Sorry for the later reply.
Holiday season tends me to re-focus on things that are really important in life :wink:
Little remark on your date question:
I started using the daily note add-on which is fantastic.
Not only it saves all your daily notes in one place (whatever your choice). The calendar view is great too.
If you’re purpose is to make an autobiopgraphy using daily notes and mentioning(linking) the notes you have worked on in your daily notes gives you the link to the date.
My five cents (it’s how I decoupled dates from filenames for this moment).

3 Likes

Thanks for your 5 cents worth of sage advice. I did not consider the calendar.

Hi! Thank you for sharing your workflow—I find this to be really helpful for thinking about my own system. I have a couple questions though:

1. What is your process for processing a resource like a book or lecture?
  2. How do you process notes in your inbox and know when they are ready to “graduate” to the next phase (i.e., from a drop to a cloud, cloud to concept, etc)?

If you could share any examples, that would help immensely! Thank you!

Many thanks for this… I tried them all, settled on IMF and changed it a little for my way of work. Without your input it would have taken a lot longer. Actually… I would not call my way IMF anymore, but it was a very helpful starting point. :slight_smile:

@mediapathic Thanks for sharing! Without some good ideas it’s quite overwhelming if you have to start on a clean state and really don’t know how to begin.

@RikD Thanks for the info on how you work. I found the drops/clouds/concepts/models structuring very interesting and logical for me. The image also helped a lot!

Both: Your explanations gave me some more insight. I’ll now start collecting (atomic) notes, settle for IMF and see what comes out of it. :slight_smile:

Anyone got a good suggestion for bilingual people? I’m half Brit, half German, and recognise that I constantly write (and think) in both languages, sometimes even within the same note.

This of course leads to all kinds of mixtures, searching problems and different tags. My everyday communication and work is about 50:50, so I can’t really decide on one language—and I’m too lazy to translate everything.

How do others handle this?

9 Likes

Rik, I love your metaphors of drops and clouds. It made me immediately think of philosopher Peter Sloterdijk using metaphor of spheres: bubble (self), globe (world), and foam (plurality). I haven’t read the book yet, but it’s on my list. More here Bubbles

2 Likes

Did you come up with a rule for your language problem? I‘m having a hard time to choose what language to use for different contexts. It’s all a big mess in my head.

1 Like

I find that certain aspects of my life tend to utilize one language more than others. So for example my personal Projects and media input are often English while other parts of my life are in my native language. Apart from languages I just use for thought there are also notes in my vault for languages I’m learning.
So to juggle all of these I have made English the official language for my vault meaning MOCs are in English and generally notes that help my organizational structure as well as tags. If a topic doesn’t really fit any language specifically I will also give it an English title. Any notes that do have a language associated with them get name in that language and I will define aliases in the other languages. So far I have had almost no issues with this approach. Hope this is helpful

4 Likes

I second this! I absorbed most of his playlists on Linking Your Thinking in about a day. He’s relatable and makes everything very easy to follow.

And as a noob (I installed it yesterday), I’m also finding @nickmilo’s LYT Kit Vault *VERY HELPFUL!!!

2 Likes

Hello RikD

Thanks for sharing your workflow, it was helpful as I structure and restructure mine. If you have the time, could you expand on how you are using Python with your notes? I have not yet incorporated Python and would be interested in hearing how you are using this to process notes and tasks.

In addition, I would be interested in hearing more on how you are using your graph view as your inbox? No sure how to get more out of this view?

Thanks for any additional information you can share.

Hello, I am very new to all this.

How do you keep the templates separate from your notes but at the same time use them to create new notes?

When I imported Bryan Jenks’ templates filled up my graph you with a ton of notes and small files.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you! This is very helpful :blush:

Just published newsletter issue How I Use Daily Notes In Obsidian [Wonkish]

The down-and-dirty details including Dataview queries.

(too long to post here)

| Stowe Boyd

PS I plan to pull out various dataview queries and share elsewhere in the forum.

3 Likes

How do I open the vault .zip file in Obsidian. I’m having trouble trying to open it. I am using MacOS.

1 Like

I figured it out. I just had to extract the folder from the .zip file and place that folder in the vault folder for obsidian. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Thank you for starting the workflow discussion. Here’s my view I want to share: How to use Zettelkasten in Obsidian

6 Likes

Hi!

I was wondering if I could show your workflow in a YouTube video I’m currently working on.
It’s on the subject of the best note-taking apps you can use to build a second brain and I believe your workflow (and that of your colleagues) show perfectly the potential obsidian has.
If you say no I would totally understand.
I just thought asking for permission would be the best course of action.

@mediapathic @cotemaxime @nickmilo

2 Likes

I came up with a lazier way - download the zip file, go to the index.md of each workflow and just read the description using Notepad! (I really love that I can do that!)

I have my own system of note taking Specifically for Academia. The main requirement here is that you have to keep meticulous track of your primary sources and are able to cite them.

I have a repository with the vault and in it is a link to the article explaining every aspect of the system.

The system is based on Zettelkasten, but is a bit more geared towards natural sciences I would say, as I found ZK not perfect for that. Here is a visual breakdown.

Recently I was playing around with replacing Zotero as a citation manager - and some of it is also already integrated into this vault.

6 Likes