Example Workflows in Obsidian

thanks, this was helpful.

1. Depends what you want. Zk is for creating an interlinked network of notes to help you generate new insights/ideas of/into the subject/conept you’re interested in.
    Regular notes are, well, regular, not necessarily interlinked, though they can be.
    You should read up about Zettelkasten, e.g. zettelkasten.de.
  2. Yes.
  3. Depends on how you want to use them: as part of your other notes, or as standalone bits of knowledge.
1 Like

Thank you.

You’re welcome. There is also this set up by @lizardmenfromspace.

4 Likes

Thanks!

Collating this here as well: IMF v3 - Advanced Starter Kit

7 Likes

Thank you!

I loved to see these examples, thank you! I am starting my digital note taking habits and always found it hard to make them useful from the moment after I take them.

I’ve been deep down the Zettelkasten/Obsidian rabbit hole for the last two weeks and I’m becoming increasingly convinced this is critical advice.

33 Likes

Hi, Thanks for the great work on the workflows. I am interested in the IMF flow. But am confused about how the Most used key words on the Index pages are updated? Is it automatic? also can you share your note taking flow? Thanks

Don’t want to be offensive in any way but this is “peanuts” when you really want to understand the work of Luhmann…

I more liked your advice to “just start making notes” and “see what structure emerges”…

4 Likes

Thanks for this, it was helpful!

Thanks it was helpful to structure out the folder dump of notes I put in to get started.

Hi Rik,
have you figured out any workflow in obsidian reflecting Zettelkasten method to share?

I haven’t found any useful at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
Giovanni

1 Like

Think you should have a look at @nickmilo’s work.
Het has some great videos on Youtube about you’re asking.

1 Like

Thx Rik,
already following Nickmilo.

Thx for the hint.

1 Like

You’re more than welcome!

For years I worked on a workflow that once start in ORG-Mode…
Zettelkasten is very nice and I am a big fan of Niklas Luhman’s work and achievements.
We need to consider that Mr. Luhmans’ work was coined in a time where no access to computers (let alone desktop computers) was possible…

That being said:
In today’s day and age the influx of information to process is huge if you have a few Body of Knowledges to follow (like myself and many others).

My “Mental Model” as @nickmilo calls it in regard to my workflow to collect knowledge is very (very) similar to Nick’s approach.

I use “drops” (atomic notes), “clouds” (connected notes - Nick’s equivalent of MOCs), “concepts” (collections of “clouds”) and “knowledge models” (collections of concepts).
#drops, #clouds,#concepts and #knowledgemodel are the tags I use to indicate the type of note.

On top of that there is a #permafrost (tag) that is used to indicate that the content of the note is rather fixed and believed “firm”.

My motehertongue is Dutch and my whole note system is written in Dutch (also the tags which I translated). This to prevent copy and pasting stuff in English from the internet. I always (literally) proces a note when it come into my Obsidian Inbox which together with my Vault directory is the only place were I store Markdown-files (Daily Notes and Templates are stored seperately but that’s just for clearness), and of coarse the attachments are also stored seperatly allthough I am not realy convinced they should be?.

My notenames are readable text which directly show what’s in the note (not really what Zettelkasten does).

The Graph View is my index. My Python scripts generate TODO-lists and lexical analysis of the Vault.

I used Zettlr (before Obsidian) -> Only thing I liked in their system was the fact that everything was stored in UUID-note (kind of). The system was not able to handle big amounts of notes but it worked for including literally everything in your vault.

This “Knowledge System” works for me until it doesn’t anymore. Then I’ll have to go and search for other ways in order to keep it going. With this community and this great piece of software I am convinced I will keep on going until I am retired (which is still some 10 years to go).

Hope this has helped for you

32 Likes

Perhaps this visual representation helps also

37 Likes

@RikD this is interesting as always.

I like your approach of always taking notes in your own words.

In my various experiments I’ve tried saving full articles, copying and pasting bullet points, and writing my own summaries/reactions - all as daily predecessor actions to writing a report length analysis on a given topic that would arise from a collection of notes. While there are merits to one or both of the first two approaches, taking down notes in my own words is more productive in working towards that end goal of producing a proper, full length analysis.

I’m curious - how long are your typical atomic notes? Are you strict about linking back to original sources/citations, or do you not worry as much about that?

2 Likes

Atomic notes start in the Inbox as just a few words (manner of speaking), a few lines which gradually develop into full blown content notes of about an A4-page (should you want to print them out).

Longer means I probably am not on an atomic level.

I do care about original source material. Mostly mentioned in the “research” part of the note. In the “Interesting Links” part I make links to other “droplets”, “clouds”, “concepts” and “Mental Models”.

1 Like