Error: Failed to save file "xxx.md". The file "zzz.jpeg" couldn't be opened using text encoding Unicode (UTF-8) …

IMG_0622
Failed to save file “xxx.md”. The file “zzz.jpeg” couldn’t be opened using text encoding Unicode (UTF-8)

Things I have tried

I’m using Obsidian iOS app on my iPad Pro. Synching via iCloud

It’s worked fine for ages, just started giving me this problem. Whenever I try to edit a file, I get the error message as per the subject line above, and see attached screenshot. The jpeg file that the error message refers to is located in a separate folder “Assets”, as specified in my Settings. The file is present, not corrupt, and is displayed flawlessly in Obsidian either by opening it directly or within the .md file where it is referenced.

The same Obsidian vault works flawlessly on my Mac, and any changes made there sync across

I’ve tried restarting the app, restarting the iPad, and deleting the app and reinstalling from the App Store. None of these has fixed the problem.

I tried removing the jpeg referred to from the Obsidian vault, but the problem just returned citing a different jpeg.

What I’m trying to do

Any suggestions for how to fix this so I can go back to using the Obsidian mobile app would be very gratefully received!

Does it only happen with one file? Or, does it only happen when a JPEG is present?

It happens with every file I’ve tried to edit. The jpeg has not been referenced in any of them (or otherwise open)

enter safe mode and restart obsidian. does it still happen?

Nope, that fixes it. I suppose that means one of my Community Plugins is the source of the problem …

… or perhaps “was” the problem, since turning off safe mode and restarting obsidian has not (so far) caused the problem to recur, but if it does, I now know what to do, i.e. turn them off and back on individually until the culprit owns up

I also discovered as a result of this that about a dozen plugins needed updating, which may well have been contributing

Many thanks for your help!

1 Like

If you figure out the cause, be sure to report back!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.