Ensure presentation has focus when starting

Use case or problem

When I start the presentation I cannot use the keys to navigate to the next slide. First, I have to use the mouse to click on the presentation to give it focus.

Proposed solution

Presentation automatically gets focus when it is started.

3 Likes

Yes this is so basic but so critical. Obsidian is very suited to people who like to build keyboard driven workflows. The need to click on the presentation is very annoying in this context.

Agree with proposed solution. The presentation should have keyboard focus when launched.

1 Like

I didn’t encounter this issue, ever.
You should switch to Reading view before starting your slide(show)
Arrow keys work immediately, no need to click to focus the slide

2 Likes

Yes, toggling to Reading View before starting presentation solved this for me. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you! Switching to reading view prior to presentation mode works and allows keyboard control of slides straight away. Still would make sense to me to do the same from edit view.

1 Like

Sorry, I think this is still a bug.

Switching to Reading View is a hack to workaround the problem. Having “Reading View” activated has nothing to do with the keyboard shortcuts, and I think the title of the post shadows the actual issue.

It’s a way to continue working, foremost. Sometimes we just need to adjust because developing applications isn’t trivial and bugfixes have different priorities.

And hack in my opinion, is when you break into other people’s networks and computers. I just added my two cents, or another possible solution.

For now as a more transparent workaround, you can create macro to switch to reading mode and then start presentation, then bind it to a key you use to start presentation instead of the usual command.

To make a macro you can use variety of plugins, I suggest Commander for its simplicity and general usefulness.