Enlarge image

Use case or problem

when in preview mode, there are some images that are hard to read. I would like to be able to view an enlarged version.

Proposed solution

If you click on an image. It should give you the option to view the image file in your file explorer so you can view it in Apple preview or any other image viewer.

Current workaround (optional)

None

Related feature requests (optional)

None

5 Likes

See e.g., Image zoom: click + hold to expand images

Thanks @ryanjamurphy However the functionality is quite limited. My image files are photos from pen on paper mindmap and hence contain a lot of detail. I would like to be able to zoom in an pan (like in Mac Preview). The option is available while in edit mode, but not in Preview mode.

I see, thanks. Switched this back to a request!

3 Likes

I’d like to have this too, and to me it feels like a core feature - images should be viewable in full detail. When there are multiple panes open in Obsidian, it’s understandable that images need to be scaled down a lot for them to fit.

I’d suggest that when a small image is clicked, open a modal that shows it as big as the Obsidian Window size allows. At the bottom of the modal, there could be two buttons: Open in default app and Show in system explorer.

Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

You could try the Image Toolkit plugin

3 Likes

Thanks, but I still see this feature being something that could be included in the core (of course it’s just my opinion). I’m not so keen on installing plugins for small things like this. That particular plugin is good in that it offers even more features than what are requested here, but personally I do not need those features, only the ability to click an image to get it larger.

2 Likes

In the mobile client we have an image viewer where we can tap an embedded image to view it at full size. Could the same functionality be made available on desktop so we can left-click an embedded image to view it at full size as well?

As stated in this thread, there are various CSS snippets around that do something similar but I think it would be nice to have this built-in and since it already exists in the mobile client it would be nice to have it in the desktop version just for consistency.

2 Likes