The cursor moves to the end of the line

Actual result

The cursor moves to the end of the paragraph

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: 0.6.2
  • Using custom CSS: No

Additional information

The same is true for “Home” returning you to the beginning of the paragraph as opposed to the start of the line.

This should be fixed in 0.6.5. Let me know if you still have this problem

I just came here looking for a solution for this and there is a release for it =). Excellent

I’m not quite happy with that change.

I was about to go on a mini-rant about how Markdown enforces readability of the source by allowing hard-breaks to not change the output, but it’s an already long-standing debate.

I will just say that I like to control what is a line and what is not, independently from the width of my editor window and its soft-wrapping. Consequently I actually never want to go to the end or start of a soft-wrap, because it does not mean anything to me.
I want to be able to go to the true home/end of a line, often to add a new line after or before it with the same indentation.

Most text editors implement this by going to the true line start/end by pressing “home” or “end” when already on the start/end of the wrap.

Alt+Shift seems a good shortcut for this

Alt+Shift for doing what exactly ? I don’t understand.

(and it’s the Windows/Ubuntu ? shortcut to switch keyboard layout)

• Home and End to go to the begin/end of a line as shown in the screen
  • Alt+Shift+Home and Alt+Shift+End to go to the real end of the line.

That’s just a suggestion based on my preferences.

1 Like

What I usually want to do is go to the start or end of the soft-wrap, so current behaviour suits me. Just a quicker way of navigating on screen edits.
Agree a ‘real’ line option would be useful, so agree mcleary’s suggestion.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

Well these doesn’t really make sense in the context of existing mnemonics : Shift+“a moving key” (arrows, home, end, pg up & down) selects the text. What could make sense would be just Alt+Home/End.

But it’s not the standard solution, which is simply to press Home/End when at the wrap.

I just noticed that Visual Studio code has the following behaviour

Press End once to go to the end of the soft wrap, press End again to go to the real end of the line. I think this could be a good solution for this as well.

2 Likes

In all word processors, that’s the soft wrap.

Yup, that’s what I mean.