Enable use of hidden files and folders starting with a dot /dotfiles/.dotfolders within Obsidian

+1000000 for this feature

Please, consider implementing hidden folders support for images and other attachments. It shouldn’t be hard to do, but will considerably improve the workflow for a lot of users like me and others in this thread.

Thanks in advance!

I’m fairly surprised this posted as a feature request, because it has to be a bug. Any path that contains a hidden folder is still a legitimate file system path. Hidden is hidden, not ignored, banned, blocked etc. To me it just makes Obsidian unusable for anything but daily notes.

3 Likes

Two years later, and no progress. Although it can’t be that hard to implement something like that. Then just a few more years without Obsidian. Too bad.

2 Likes

3 days later and still not progress. Unbelievable.

I currently use underscore in from to sort of group various folders that should be hidden, ideally. Like _attachment. I wish they would not clutter my view.

2 Likes

Pleaase!
We need this feature

1 Like

+1 for this request.

2 Likes

+1 for this request.

1 Like

+1 for this request

1 Like

Use case or problem

I prefer to save linked images into a hidden folder, such as .assets, so that they will not mess up with documents. But, in this way, Obsidian will not try to load contents in those “hidden” folders, resulting that images are not rendered in markdown preview.

Proposed solution

I have known that currently, Obsidian will not reading contents in hidden folders.
But if it possible to add an option to enable reading contents in those folders (only linked resources in documents, not all contents in those folders).

1 Like

+1 pleeeaase. It would make things so much easier to just be able to use an “.attachments” folder for compatibility with Azure DevOps wikis :hugs:

1 Like

+1 for this request

I have tried a hacky solution with a plugin I found on github, which can do the trick. But only on one machine. As soon as you try to introduce sync, at least Obsidian’s paid for sync feature, it all falls apart (I’m guessing it ignores any “.” folder that isn’t “.obsidian.md”). I had a hell of a time trying to fix sync issues when I tried to implement this one.
Not sure if syncing via other routes (google drive, dropbox, self hosted server) would have any other effects as they’re jus syncing everything in the vault folder regardless?

+1 here too, some programming languages require filenames to start with a dot; so this is preventing me from sharing my vault folder between obsidian and stuff like vscode.

IDK when this plugin was introduced, but I believe the community plugin “Hide Folders” does what you want.

obsidian://show-plugin?id=hide-folders

We are not taking about showing or hidden the folder in the file explorer (though the mentioned extension will be useful), but we want that Obsidian can access the content in hidden folders that starts with ., e.g., .assets.

1 Like

That’s exactly what the “Hide Folders” plugin does. Obsidian can still use the folder. You can toggle on or off whether it’s hidden or visible. You define the names of folders to hide. Mine is set to hide any folder containing assets or attachments or _resources. Works like a charm.

@Tesgin The issue is that there is a convention of other programs hiding folders that start with a period (.) while still recognizing their existence, whereas Obsidian breaks that convention and decides that folders that start with a period do not exist (other than specifically the .obsidian folder). So, you cannot set your attachments folder to a folder that starts with a period. You can, but then none of your attachments will show up in your documents. And you cannot use the core audio recorder plugin to record audio to your attachments folder anymore.

+1 for this feature

Understood. Yeah, re-reading the initial qsn was about being able to show hidden folders that begin with a period. THen several ppl started commenting specifically about the attachments or resources folder that holds images, etc. So the while the hide folders plugin cd b a workaround for that (but not if that folder starts with a period), it is not germane to the OP’s original qsn. Thnx for clarifying.

Great! It works like a charm!

+1

I just can’t believe this actually a bug to break the file naming convention experience on Mac/Linux (any period leading file name will be treated as hidden whilst accessible)! How come Obsidian forcibly ignore these dot leading folders and this BUG FIXING “feature request” has not been remedied for 2+ years???

1 Like

Please obsidian team. We want this feature!

+1

We need this feature to migrate our TheBrain vaults.