Empty lines dissapear in View Mode

What I’m trying to do

I like to have the empty lines which are in the domcument to be shown in the View-Mode, but the view mode removes the empty lines and “squeezes” the text together.

What can i do to have the empty lines also in the view mode?

1 Like

Just curious: Why do you want to have empty lines in the view mode? What are you trying to achieve?

Tried this setting? (Or use blank lines between blocks.)

Angel

Thanks :slight_smile: That makes brakes in lines be in view mode. but more then one empty line gets removed to just one empty line.
I also tried the other options in editor now, but did not work out so far.

that’s how markdown works.

1 Like

Why can i have multiple empty lines in the raw .md then? I thought the preview is programmed by Obsidian and can do whatever Obsidian programms into it.

If its not in the Core Plugins, can you recommend a plugin?

No, the editor is still a text editor that fakes some aspects of the reader experience.
I recommend you understand what markdown is and not force to do something it was not designed for. If you want to force it, you can use <br/>

+1

I find it annoying too when the reading view squishes everything together lol.

I use another markdown-based app (TheBrain) which also alternates between an edit and read view—and it doesn’t strip the spaces.

1. Obsidian is a Markdown editor.
  2. Markdown sees text in blocks. Paragraphs need to be separated by blank lines to create distinct blocks when viewed in reading mode / parsed. This from the developer who wrote Markdown:

A paragraph is simply one or more consecutive lines of text, separated by one or more blank lines. (A blank line is any line that looks like a blank line — a line containing nothing but spaces or tabs is considered blank.) Normal paragraphs should not be indented with spaces or tabs.

1. You don’t need to write any HTML.
  2. You just need to leave a blank line (two or more returns) between lines of text when editing your notes. If you don’t, Markdown will run those lines together into a single paragraph when parsed. That’s how is is designed to work.
  3. You can override this by using the setting that was pointed out several days ago.
  4. You have two simple ways to work in Obsidian (points 4 and 5 above), or you can use HTML breaks if you want to.
  5. The is purely a PEBKAC issue. There is nothing wrong with Obsidian, nothing wrong with Markdown editors, and nothing wrong with the advice already given.
  6. If nothing suits you because you don’t like how Markdown is programmed or because you don’t want to learn how to use Markdown editors, you should use a different type of text editor.

Angel

1 Like

LMAO

Please dont be sad now, advice can go into the wrong direction, it can miss what someone was interested in. Happens, nothing to be ashamed of or to get defensive about.

You clearly skipped everything i wrote after you heard “no” to your tipp…

I never said there is something wrong with Obsidian.

And to point 4 and 5, STILL, doesnt work, AND misses the POINT.

1 Like

LMAO

Please dont be sad now, advice can go into the wrong direction, it can miss what someone was interested in. Happens, nothing to be ashamed of or to get defensive about.

You clearly skipped everything i wrote after you heard “no” to your tipp…

I never said there is something wrong with Obsidian.

And to point 4 and 5, STILL, doesnt work, AND misses the POINT

They work. You don’t.

Angel

No :smiley:

FOR WHAT I WANT, yes? FOR WHAT, I, WANT: your tipp is Not working.
The tipps do what they do, but not what i was hoping for.

Parsing my text in the view mode is collapsing multiple empty lines into only one empty line, because why? because Markdown is working like that. How old are you, 5?..

Hey, a heavy question for WhiteNoise and ou too Angel: “Is e.g. a plugins/function like ‘embed’ forcing anything into markdown it is not supposed to do?”

things can change… still, nomatter how much you think that markdown is what it is.

EDIT: Oh i can hear it, “but Markdown”, yes yes, your lovely Markdown wouldnt be Markdown then anymore right? No, noone is trying to destroy you markdown here. People can just be curious if that can be changed, without destroying your loved markdown.

Maybe i am mistaken and Obsidian is a much more coder related tool than i thought. → Then again, dont do marketing which markets the app as friendly for everyone.

1 Like

You think my age is five times higher than your IQ?

Angel

No, i think you are whining like a baby because your tipp was useless. Get over it, grow up, and leave this topic please if you cant listen anymore.

I’m sticking to the facts.

You even whined about the advice given by an experienced moderator.

You really are thick: you don’t even understand the dross you write.

Angel

@David00 I am sorry for my previous interaction. I do suggest you google for some markdown tutorials to get a feel of it is and how it works.

Feel free to open a feature request to ask for a different way to process empty line. Bear in mind that if such feature is introduced and you use it, other markdown parser won’t process it the same way as it is non-standard.

1 Like

/in advance: the post of WhiteNoise appeared while i was writing my message.

“I’m sticking to the facts.”

“Someone” is in his head again. Noone asked if you are to whatever facts.
And that is what makes you a child, you have not learned yet to take perspective of others (me and my whish) or to really listen. Take it as a coaching chap.

You even whined about the advice given by an experienced moderator.

The “advise” was just horrible for me, yes, it might had good points, but: Me a new user asks something, a person who seems to be engaged by the App-Owners delivers no helpfull answer to me because of stated reasons (basically that i am not an expert and be “treated” “dump” for that → frightening customers off + i missed a message in his lines about "that is an idea, good, you could request this (to no be html typing every time)).
So i am helping you out again to unerstand this: read something about business-service and educate yourself before you force your posts into here.

The underlying tone is mirrored so there is a feedback for what i percieve of typical programmer-communication-harshness and rudeness (I encountered that often, it’s a real phenomena, you can educate yourself about that also). (see what im doing by now? :wink: )

He might be an expert for you in something, but that doesnt make someone automatically a good communicator too. And that you think someone is automatically, again, makes you very much 5 years old. Metaphorically speaking in case you missed that part in my communication. I am sure you are older then 5, but your ego is of a angry young child. Have a relationship with your expert and be happy. Nothing wrong with that, but dont overreact in a topic you did not create or are not interested in anymore to contribute to. That is just beeing toxic to the community. Thank you.

@WhiteNoise Thank you. Your answer is appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.