Emojis and portability

Are emojis really portable to other markdown tools? Or the use of emojis implies portability risks?

Probably is a dumb question because no one has asked this in the forum, so I suppose it is not a bad habit. Example I use-> anytag: #:evergreen_tree: / :open_book:

I’m not sure if there could be any problems. I don’t think so.

But do avoid the use of emoji in filenames. I know some emoji characters in filenames prevent Dropbox from syncing. That’s the only bad example I know of. I haven’t tested it with any other syncing tools.

1 Like

I think some actually = most

Nice to know that… Thank you!

And regarding portability between different tools, is it usually a problem to migrate emojis? Or they are somehow “standard” in markdown?

Emojis are a property of Unicode rather than markdown, so as long as they are represented in the text formats a program uses there should be no problem with portability.

1 Like

Emojis are a property of Unicode rather than markdown, so as long as they are represented in the text formats a program uses there should be no problem with portability.

And what do you mean by “text formats”? There is only one code for the emojis as far as I know. (Sorry for my ignorance).

Well, a program that only used ASCII wouldn’t have many emojis.
In practice, everything you’re ever likely to come across will use UTF-8 etc and so there will be no problem.

1 Like

In practice, everything you’re ever likely to come across will use UTF-8 etc and so there will be no problem.

Understood. Then I will keep the system as it is. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.