Embedded videos encoded with h265/hevc don't play video, only audio

Hey folks, hoping someone might have some insight into this…

Based on this thread: H.265 Video Support

It seems that HEVC/h265 encoded videos would be supported by Obsidian so long as Chromium supports it. I can confirm that I am able to open both mp4 and mkv h265-encoded videos inside of chromium and they play with both audio and video. However, when I embed the same files inside a note in Obsidian, I only get audio playback.

Further, it seems h265 support was added to Chromium around September of 2022 (at least, according to this article: Google Quietly Added HEVC Support in Chrome - Bitmovin and my ability to play them inside the browser). I’m running v1.3.4 of Obsidian on a W10 and W11 machine, both of which support HEVC/h265-encoded videos (can play them with windows media player, and Video player).

Here’s a screenshot of the same file embedded twice, once as a VP9 webm and once as an h265 mkv, in source mode:

This is what it looks like in reading mode:

Clicking on the play button on the bottom bar only proceeds to play audio, and not the video.

Any ideas?

Greatly appreciate any insights anyone might have.

Thank you!

1 Like

I just opened the same note on my Android phone and it displayed & played the h265 video without issue. Honestly not really sure why it would appear this way on Windows?

Hi All, just installed v1.3.5 and the issue seems to be fixed!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.