Embed part of file dynamically

What I’m trying to do

If I have a file that is structured as a set of headers, with notes under each heading (maybe those are dates, but potentially not), is there a way to extract the top N headings and the subsequent text to embed dynamically in another note? The idea is that I keep notes for a project in one file, but have a project dashboard file that concatenates information from various places. I would like a “Most Recent Notes” section that would include the most recent content from a specified note.

For example, if I have a “Project X Notes” file and a “Project X Dashboard” file, I would like to extract the first (or last) two headers (“#”) from “Project X Notes” and display the content beneath those headers in “Project X Dashboard”, so that I can see the most recent notes I have taken for that particular project.

Things I have tried

I’ve looked at dataview’s standard queries, dataviewjs queries, and several other plugins that seemed relevant based on the descriptions, but nothing seemed to obviously address the issue.

I think DataView can’t do it because it’s oriented around whole files and tasks, but my DataView knowledge is very limited.

Some rough workarounds:

  • Format the headings as task list items instead, and then maybe DataView can do it.

  • In the Notes file, put the headings under Recent and Older headings. (This requires manually moving the bottom Recent into Older when you add a new Recent.)

  • In the Notes file put the recent headings in a callout. (Requires manually moving the bottom one out of the callout when you add a new one, and might affect the Outline tab.

I think I have most of this working, other than getting it to display the content. Here is the code block I’m using

const fullText = await dv.io.load("Notes.md");

const headerRegex = /^# .*$/umg;

const matches = fullText.match(headerRegex);
const topMatches = matches.slice(-2);

for (const header in topMatches) {
  dv.paragraph(dv.sectionLink("Notes", topMatches[header], true));

and the structure of the file it is querying (with bogus content for now)

name: Project 0
type: notes
# 2023-10-08

- Project 0 is at risk of falling behind. Need more resources

# 2023-10-16

- Now we need to test the most recent changes

# 2023-10-17

- Most recent changes were successful

I see that it correctly extracts the last two headers from the file, but when I specify embed=true all I see is Notes > 2023-10-16 and Notes > 2023-10-17. If I make embed=false, it correctly shows a link to the correct places, but the embed isn’t working. I suspect it might be the dv.paragraph(), but I’m not 100% sure.

I ended up going with a different approach to get this done. I used the plugin Meld Build instead. Using the same input file as above, I can include the following codeblock in another file. The only downside is that I have not found out an easy way to automatically update this when I open the file, but having to hit a button isn’t that bad.

# Recent Notes

```js meld-build
const fullText = await $.io.load("Notes.md");

const headerRegex = /^# .*$/umg;
const linkTemplate = "![[Notes#{{date0}}]]\n![[Notes#{{date1}}]]";
const matches = fullText.match(headerRegex);
const topMatches = matches.slice(-2);
const dates = {date0: topMatches[0].slice(2), date1:topMatches[1].slice(2)};
const result = $.render(linkTemplate, dates);
$.markers.set( 'recentNotes', result);
await $.markers.apply();

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.