Effective way to link external files (from outside the vault)

I am trying to create an all-in-one system with my “library files” on one side (outside the vault) and my note system (inside obsidian vault) on other side. I have two questions regarding this integration:

1. Which is the best way to link or even embed external files (pdf, audio, video…) to the notes inside the vault? This is the only solution I have found fo sar : Transclude \ Embed external files present on the computer

2. Is there any way to preserve these links/connections even if the original file outside the vault was moved to a different directory? And if the title of the file was modified?

What are your current approaches/recommendations to implement this kind of system? :thinking:

1 Like

Hook deals with files moving.

1 Like

Hook deals with files moving.

Any alternative for windows?

No one knows about a hook alternative for windows or a different workflow to link external files? (and dealing with moving files). Any hint on this would help me a lot! :slight_smile:

Maybe there is no “good” way to implment this system so far?

Did you post the correct link for your first question? That thread isn’t specifically about external files and nothing in it sounds like a non-Obsidian workaround.

I haven’t linked to any files outside of Obsidian yet, but when I do, I plan to put a unique ID in the name of every file I want to reference, and never change that part of the name. It’s not pretty, but unfortunately I can’t rely on files having the same path on my home computer and on mobile devices. If the link doesn’t work, then searching the ID number in the file manager should find the file.

4 Likes

You are right. I have updated the correct link: Transclude \ Embed external files present on the computer

I plan to put a unique ID in the name of every file I want to reference

Your ID solution is an alternative, what I am looking for is something with these features:

1. Link files from outside the vault (pdf, images, audio, video, word files …)

2. Open the pdf at the page described in the link of the Obsidian note.

3. Deal with moving files (links should not broke if file is moved or if the name is changed).

Does something like this exist?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.