Editor view: Navigate links by clicking

It would be more convenient for navigating notes if we could click on links, instead of holding Ctrl each time to do it. It would be useful to have an option to make clicking a link navigate instead of editing the text. We could edit the text by clicking on the same line outside the link.

4 Likes

I actually prefer needing Ctrl to open a link in edit mode because when I am in edit mode I want to easily edit the link by clicking wherever I want to type/delete letters/words in the link’s name. I think removing the required Ctrl will lead to annoying instances of “misclicks” or mis-openings. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This is also my expectations when editing notes. So I agree with you @DEV_Scribbles :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see how it would be confusing to change especially if you’re used to Obsidian already, but it could be an option to turn on or not. Personally I find I misclick on links trying to navigate them because they look “clickable” even though they aren’t. Especially in the new WYSIWYG mode I think this makes sense. If you could click on the same line as the link, then it would show the [[ ]] backets around the word to show it is editable. For example in apps like Roam or Logseq this is how it works.

Live Preview makes this extra muddy. It now looks like you’re not in edit mode and have a link to click instead of edit.

2 Likes

Sure would be fun though! “Clickin” those internal links with abandon while in “Editor View” :grinning: :+1:

I agree, for me it would be more intuitive when using the live preview mode.

Having it as an option makes sense, maybe as an option to invert those key bindings in live preview, so you open a link by clicking it normally and edit a link by Ctrl-clicking it? Or would that just add to the confusion? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

That would confuse me more than always being in Live Preview and always ctrl+click to open the link.