Duplication/Data Loss with Mobile Sync

Steps to reproduce

I’m not sure exactly. I started up the mobile application and it automatically synced to my Obsidian Sync vault.

Expected result

I expected the Dekstop and Mobile valuts to be synced.

Actual result

Instead, somehow a new Folder was created in both valuts with the Vault Name. For example, if say my value was:

Vault Name

• Folder 1
  • Folder 2
  • Note 1

I instead would get
Vault Name

• Vault Name
  • Folder 1
  • Folder 2
  • Note 1

Where the new “Vault Name” folder contained the same folder structure as the original vault, but with only some of the notes contained within it. This happened Recursively, with “Vault Name” also containing another “Vault Name”, and so on for a couple of cycles. The end result was that some of my notes were totally wiped and were nowhere to be found in the hierarchy.

When looking at the deleted file history on my Mac, a whole bunch of files are marked as “Deleted” right at the point when the sync with mobile happened. However, I never deleted these files.

As a result, I no longer trust the data integrity of the platform.

Environment

OSX and iOS for the Dekstop/Mobile app.

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.14.6
Installer version: v0.13.19
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.4.0: Mon Feb 21 20:35:58 PST 2022; root:xnu-8020.101.4~2/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 21.4.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Safe mode: off
Plugins installed: 1
Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

Hello,

It’s impossible for obsidian sync to auto configure itself.

What I believe happened is that in one device you selected as vault supdir/vault and in another vault.

Also, make sure your vault is managed by Obsidian sync only (no iclould other stuff)