Drag File-Link in pane opens file in Pane

First: Thank you so much for this amazing app!

A new way to open a file in an existing pane

I had a file with lots ob file-links and it was a pain to open them with Shift+CMD+Click and then closing them back again. I don’t want to create a new pane every time. This could be way smoother. I don’t want to shit the focus on another pane and then open the file.

Drag and Drop ftw

Currently it is possible to drag a file from the file explorer into the top part of a pane and then it opens the file in that pane. I want the same but instead of taking the file from the explorer it should be a link in the editor.

Example:

Pane1 Content:
[[Example]] ← if I press a certain key, the link gets draggable and i can drag it to the top of another open pane, where the file will now open.
At the end: Pane1 would have the same content, Pane2 would now have the file that Pane1 linked to.

I hope you understand my idea. Thank you for everything!

Not exactly what you want, but you can drag a link from a panel when it is in preview mode (and you can easily toggle into preview mode with a hotkey shortcut):

You can drag a file from a link inside the note, in preview mode.

Drop destinations

You can drop a file on a pane header to open the file there. Hold Alt (or Shift on MacOS) to drop anywhere on the pane.

Source: Obsidian help vault

Angel

Also, if a file is in edit mode, you can CMD CLICK (on a Mac) the preview icon in the top part of the pane and a second pane will open so that the same file is visible in both panes (and linked): one in edit mode and the other in preview mode. You can then click to open the link you originally wanted.

Angel

Wow, great! Did not knew that this is possible. I would very much prefer it, if it would work in editor mode too :confused:
Thank you for the info!

Welcome. And I agree.

Angel