Double blank lines converted to single blank lines (line break removed) when edit made elsewhere in file

Was not able to find this bug with a search.

Steps to reproduce

Not sure how to reproduce.

Expected result

I expect that if I have two headings with nothing except two blank lines in between, if I make changes in other parts of the note that these two headings with only two blank lines in between would not be altered.

### Evening Journal

### Weekly Review

Actual result

A few times I have seen that the two blank lines have been converted to a single blank line:

### Evening Journal

### Weekly Review

I have done a comparison in VSCode of two consecutive entries in my sync history to verify this. It also seems to have added an empty line after any sections. E.g.

## Journal



## Journal

in the same version change.

I mostly work in live preview, but I do spend a little time in edit more and preview mode also.


  • Operating system: MacOS Monterey 12.0.1
  • Debug info:
    Obsidian version: v0.13.14
    Installer version: v0.12.19
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: insider
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: light
    Community theme: Minimal
    Snippets enabled: 2
    Safe mode: off
    Plugins installed: 19
    Plugins enabled: 19
    1: Tasks
    2: Style Settings
    3: Advanced Tables
    4: Cancel Tasks
    5: Calendar
    6: CustomJS
    7: Dataview
    8: Editor Syntax Highlight
    9: Hotkeys for specific files
    10: Kanban
    11: Minimal Theme Settings
    12: Natural Language Dates
    13: Obsidian Charts
    14: Quick Explorer
    15: Quick Switcher++
    16: Remember cursor position
    17: System Dark Mode
    18: Templater
    19: Tracker

Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please try to make the issue happen in the help vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

I don’t believe Obsidian did this. Maybe it was a plugin or an external program. Maybe it’s the work of a linter. Let us know if you get to the root of this.

Hmm - possibly it could be VSCode - I did have this file open in VSCode at one point and checking now, it may format the md file in this way the way it’s currently setup when saved. I didn’t think I had done this but this seems like the likely reason.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.