Document "date" and "id" (as metadata)

I am very new to Obsidian, I found about it and decided to use it as a basis for a knowledge management system. I have my own knowledge management system. It is much much more complex than Zettelkasten, though it DOES share some features with the Zettelkasten system.

Being a noob, I currently have 2 problems integrating obsidian with my system.

1. document “id”

Each “note” or “document” has a document id composed of 8 random characters eg. #r95h4by2 … Now I know about the “unique id” feature but I want Obsidian to assign a new 8-character id to each newly created document INSTEAD of the usual time stamp. I want all inter-linking to be done with these id’s instead of document name and also want Obsidian to keep track of all “taken id’s” so it doesn’t re-assign a used id.

2. document “date”

I am currently digitizing many of my hand-written notes. The problem is: I want the “digitized notes” (the ones in Obsidian) to have a “date field” that points to the date the hand-written note was created and not the date of creation of the MD file. I have dates on my hand-written notes and I want to “fill them in” as metadata fields possibly so that I can search and filter by dates and date ranges later on, as well as do some other tasks related to the chronological order of the notes.

In short: I want a way to control a “document’s date” other than the built-in one which tracks the date at which the digital file was created/last modified - this will be used for searching and filtering purposes.

There could be simple solutions to my problems that I am completely oblivious to, so please point me out. If not, I guess I’ll have to write my own plugins then. Thanks!

For the document ID I think you’ll have to write a plugin (but search the community plugins first, just in case).

For the date, you could just put it in a front matter field. I don’t think you can use those directly in search, unfortunately (might be worth filing a feature request if one doesn’t already exist), but for some purposes you could use a regular expression search.

If that doesn’t suffice, you’ll want to look at the DataView community plugin.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.