Display the value of a variable (defined in frontmatter or elsewhere)

Hello,

Things I have tried

I have a simple question that I cannot find an answer to. I’ve searched in the forum and in the documentation of Obsidian and in its dataview plugin.

What I’m trying to do

I would like to display the value of a variable that I defined in the frontmatter. I don’t want to create a list or a table, simply display it in the text.
I’ve tried all kind of synthax, but it doesn’t work.

Here is an example of what I would like to do:

Definition of the variable in the Front Matter:

---
testsw134p1u: 2
---

Different way to refer on it I’ve tried, but they don’t work:

{testsw134p1u}
{testsw134p1u.value}
this.testsw134p1u.value

Thank you for your help!

If you are using Dataview, then to display a simple value defined in YAML you would use:

`= this.testsw134p1u`
4 Likes

There’s a related feature request here.

Thank you for your answer. At the moment it doesn’t work yet. I have Dataview plugin installed, activated. Did I forget something?

Thank you for the hint. I tried the suggested syntaxes, but no luck, and both plugins are activated. I’ll write under the other post in case others have had similar problems.

About dataview syntax…

`=this.testsw134p1u`

This is the right expression for an inline query in the same note: the value of testsw134p1u in “this” note.

Basic questions:

• in dataview settings (Settings > Dataview) the inline query prefix defined is “=”?
  • are you talking about the output in Live Preview? AFAIK inline queries doesn’t work in Live Preview mode… Only reading mode!
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.