Deleting Folder Cause Obsidian to Hang

Things I have tried

I have searched the forum
I have googled the “Folder deletion obsidian hanging”

What I’m trying to do

In the left sidebar I right mouse click and try to delete the folder. Obsidian then hangs (I can not get Obsidian to respond to any mouse clicks, I can not even get the context menu from the right-mouse click to go away). So I crash out of Obsidian (close the app using the taskbar (I am a W10 user) (the x button on the app won’t respond as per the general experience of Obsidian not responding). I then re-open Obsidian and the folder has been deleted.

Background:

• Windows 10
  • Obsidian Sync
  • No other synchronisation services being used
  • no other applications accessing the folder(s) (e.g. windows explorer, vscode)

What version of Obsidian, and what installer version too? (If you have an older installer version, it could be worth downloading a fresh installer, and reinstalling.)

There is a command “Show debug info” which will list all that info, including plugins very quickly.

Does it happen on every folder you attempt to delete?

Have you tried disabling community plugins to test if it still happens?

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS

What version of Obsidian, and what installer version too? - SEE BELOW

Does it happen on every folder you attempt to delete? - YES

Have you tried disabling community plugins to test if it still happens? - I HAVE NOW AND IT STILL HAPPENS

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.13.17
Installer version: v0.12.19
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: insider
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off

Thank you for showing interest.

Spooky - but switching Community Plugins off and them back on again (disable/enable) appears to have resolved the issue.

I saw your reply, but I’ll finish answering just in case any of this helps in the future for someone else:

So I’m just brainstorming. I don’t know, but:

After disabling plugins, did you restart Obsidian before doing your test?

Settings → Files & Links → Deleted files
What do you have configured in this setting? If it is set to the .trash folder in your Obsidian vault, does that folder exist? (Maybe it got deleted.)

Can you try opening your developer tools, and view the console? (I think it is ctrl-shift-i on Windows.) If you open the “Console”, do you see any errors before the app freezes?

You turned plugins off and then on again. And then it seemingly resolved it. Turning the plugins back on might have refreshed it. Turning them off and restarting the app might have also worked. I still suspect a plugin as being the problem. Are you willing to list your plugins?

1 Like

Answers inline:

After disabling plugins, did you restart Obsidian before doing your test?:
YES

Settings → Files & Links → Deleted files
What do you have configured in this setting? If it is set to the .trash folder in your Obsidian vault, does that folder exist? (Maybe it got deleted.):
My setting was “Move to system trash”. I didnt realise I had options

Can you try opening your developer tools, and view the console? (I think it is ctrl-shift-i on Windows.) If you open the “Console”, do you see any errors before the app freezes?:
Unable to repeat the issue at the moment but will do should it happen again

You turned plugins off and then on again. And then it seemingly resolved it. Turning the plugins back on might have refreshed it. Turning them off and restarting the app might have also worked. I still suspect a plugin as being the problem. Are you willing to list your plugins?:

Sure - I must admit looking at the this I probably don’t need half of them:
1: Quick Switcher++
2: Natural Language Dates
3: Calendar
4: Review
5: Dangling links
6: Dataview
7: Folder Note
8: Markdown Formatting Assistant
9: Prettier Format
10: Vault Statistics
11: Autocomplete