Deleting a hot key conflict leads to unexpected behavior

Steps to reproduce

1. Open Settings → Hotkeys
  2. Search for “Bookmark” to filter commands (for example)
  3. Click + next to a command and type ⌘W on Mac (or any already used hotkey command)
  4. See the “1 command with conflict” error appear above and the red-highlighted hotkey with the conflict
  5. Click the ‘x’ next to the conflicting hotkey to clear the conflict

Expected result

I expect the conflicting hotkey to be cleared, and stay on the same screen so I can choose a different hotkey.

Actual result

The conflicting hotkey gets deleted but it also runs a search query on the hotkey. And because I’m already in a search context with “Bookmark”, I get a blank screen with zero results. I don’t get to see the other conflicting hotkey.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.3.1
Installer version: v1.2.8
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.4.0: Mon Mar 6 20:59:28 PST 2023; root:xnu-8796.101.5~3/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 22.4.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: supporter
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 0
Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

I think the best UX for dealing with hotkey conflicts is let the user do one of the following actions:

• click x on the conflicting hotkey to clear it in place (don’t run a search)
  • click somewhere else on the conflicting hotkey to run a new search only for that hotkey (clear any existing text query) so that all conflicting hotkeys appear and can be modified as desired
  • click the “1 command with conflicts” error to execute the same search query as above (only hotkey, no text) — That message is reporting the conflict, it should show them to you.
3 Likes

thanks

will be fixed 1.3.2

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.