Select file in File Explorer and delete with "Delete" Key

Every time I want to delete a file, I must do it with Right-Click >Delete. This is quite tedious to do, so I’m wondering if it is possible to just do [Select file in Explorer] > Delete or Backspace. To implement this, you can possibly add a focus on explorer feature, activated whenever you click into the explorer, and visualized with a border around the explorer. You can then select a file and just simply hit Delete. Thanks!

2 Likes

In the meantime, there is a command Delete current file. You can access it with the Command Palette or assign to a hotkey.

1 Like

You can access it with the Command Palette or assign to a hotkey.

Unfortunately you can’t assign either backspace or delete as a hotkey.

1 Like

That’s correct, and I’ve come across bugs when assigning ctrl+delete.

But I believe the OP’s request is something different. They want the File Explorer to have focus and then click delete.

Related to this request https://forum.obsidian.md/t/file-explorer-expanded-functionality/125

3 Likes

@Mayonnaise2124 I’ll tag this as “Resolved Help” for now. And I suggest going to the “File Explorer Expanded Functionality” thread that Sam linked to. You can add your vote there, and I will too, because it is a good suggestion.

It would be nice to do things like select multiple files and delete them too, for example.

2 Likes