Default template for new note (cltr-n, click to non-existing note)

Just wanted to :+1: this feature request, was pointed here after a nice chat interaction with @EleanorKonik

3 Likes

+1 It would help many of us to automatically assign a tag “Fleeting Note” to newly created notes.

1 Like

I think this would also be a great feature!

I’m not sure why this old post about it:

was closed and archived on April 29? It seems like this is not yet a feature. That thread also had some ideas about default templates per folder, etc.

1 Like

This plugin GitHub - Vinzent03/obsidian-hotkeys-for-templates can act as a pretty solid workaround; set a template per folder, and whenever you hit “new” (default location, or from the file explorer, or via the command palette). For the way I work (single level of folders for different types of notes, all incoming “thinking” notes start in a seedbox) it’s really solid. One bonus of the approach is that I can now open the command palette and type “new def” and I get a command to create a new Definition note in the definition folder with that template applied.

tl;dr Have a look at GitHub - Vinzent03/obsidian-hotkeys-for-templates :slight_smile:

Note: one thing it doesn’t do is apply the template when creating the note from a link in another note. I’ve raised on issue on the Github repo noting this for the developer.

3 Likes

Old post, but just wanna add on to this: Set a default template for each note per selected folders.

Say, if I want to create a new note under the “School” folder, the template “Class Notes” would be automatically applied. Or if I create a new note under “Books” folder, the “books” template would be applied.

Like how the Daily Notes and Zettelkasten work, but per folder

1 Like

Just want to let you know guys that community plugin “Hotkeys for templates” by Vinzent03 has the feature to set default templates for new notes, configurable per folder.

1 Like

I’d still like to see this added in as a core feature as the plugin Hotkeys for templates don’t work on mobile.

I don’t know when you tried it, but it works for me on mobile now.

This is one of those things that fit in the perfect Quality of Life update. I’m tired of manually adding the metadata each time I create a new note.

1 Like

+1 for this as a feature as well. I can user the Templater plugin and assign a hotkey to a New Note template, but having the new note icon and action be optionally linked to a template as a core feature would be convenient.

1 Like

This can easily be solved using the popular templater plugin itself. It could be better worded, but the feature is there, even to for new notes created from links. This should however be a native feature in Obsidian

just like @raiseabelatrix said. Enable folder templates for the root directory. and now no matter where you create the note or how you create it. The selected template will be applied

14 Likes

woo, that’s cool. It saves my time!
btw, you should turn on this option firstly:

2 Likes

This is not working for me, for some reason, also when I try using the templater, it’s not resolving all the <% %> code blocks

1 Like

+1 for this. Great for keeping productivity moving.

2 Likes

+1 for this.

Surprised we don’t have this already, actually. Would be great!

2 Likes

+1^∞

automate > recreate

Save a click, save a life…

Also:

solved?

5 Likes

Please add this

1 Like

+1

Please, implement this simple killer function !!!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

+1

An easier and quicker way of adding a note with a template, especially if it is customizable or flexible and can be applied to a few templates, would be great.

+1 Please add this feature. :slight_smile:

1 Like