Dataview question: how to create a table that shows the title, tags, date created, and date modified?

What I’m trying to do

I have a note that is populated by many notes in a bullet point list. Think of each note as a bit of writing on a topic. Looking through this page of bullet points, it is sometimes hard to find the note I want. Therefore, I want to create a notion like table displaying every note on the page as a row, the tags in that note, date created and date modified.

I am guessing dataview is the best way to do this? I have struggled so far to come up with the correct query.

Also, if I create this table, will I be able to add directly to it, or will I have to add to the original page where all the notes are?

Things I have tried

Yes, I think dataview offers the best way to do that. I use a DQL like this one:

```dataview
table
note as "Title or Alias",
file.cday as created,
file.mday as "modified",
file.outlinks as "follow-up note",
file.tags as Tags
From ""
FLATTEN choice(
   typeof(titel) ="string",
   titel,
   alias
   ) as note
sort note asc
```

The table should be updated automatically when you create a new note.

Thanks so much for your help! This very nearly worked.

I changed the ‘From’ to the name of the note where I have the bullet list of notes, as you can see above. However, what is showing is different than what I expected.

table
note as "Title or Alias",
file.cday as created,
file.mday as "modified",
file.outlinks as "follow-up note",
file.tags as Tags
From "Notes/Notes"
FLATTEN choice(
   typeof(titel) ="string",
   titel,
   alias
   ) as note
sort note asc

current behavior

The file column is empty (except one row where it has the original note called ‘Notes’.) This is the same for the date created, modified which are all empty (except one row which has the date the ‘Notes’ note was created). The tags column is empty.

The follow up note column has every bullet point from the ‘Notes’ note.This is close as do not really need a follow up column and can repurpose this column as the Title column.

changes needed

So it seems I must somehow change:

• repurpose follow up column as the first column, containing each note as a row
  • change date created and modified to show relevant info from each note
  • change tags column to show the tags from within each note

Ok, I now understand your problem. The query I used assumes that the FROM command points to the folder where all your notes are located. The reference to a note with a bullet list of all your notes will then not work this way.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.