Dataview plugin snippet showcase

@mdee makes good use of the Dataview plugin to set up a lightweight project and task management system based on PARA. It’s well done. See Project and Task Management workflow.

1 Like

You can use Templater plugin too. It puts templates into the text and has a lot of other cool features, I prefer it over hotstrings

1 Like

It seems that the Dataview plugin can’t parse queries with accented characters like :

list from #début

Dataview: Failed to parse query (line 1, column 13): expected ‘and’ or ‘or’ or ‘&’ or ‘|’,/FROM/i,/SORT/i,/WHERE/i,EOF

Is there a workaround ?

I would add an issue on the github page. This shouldn’t be difficult to implement.

It seems there is no like function? I want to list all the restaurants I have notes on but I have not gathered them with a tag (only occasionally need a restaurant). And I know I concequently added the word restaurant in the file.name.

Is that possible?

D&D Campaign cross-referencing with dataview…

• I have a few basic types: faction, npc, location
  • I have some tagging conventions:
    • General region: #region/subregion/sub-subregion/…
    • Specific place: #place/settlement/loggers-camp or #place/town/phandalin/stonehill-inn

That feels chatty, but it comes pretty naturally. What that means I then have is:

A) a full index grouped by type:

## Locations
```dataview
list from "compendium"
where type = "location"
sort file.name asc
```

## NPCs
```dataview
list from "compendium"
where type = "npc"
sort file.name asc
```

## Factions
```dataview
list from "compendium"
where type = "faction"
sort file.name asc
```

B) Cross references can then be displayed to help hop between things without creating links/backlinks (if you want to reserve those for stronger meaning, e.g.)

A specific location can do the following to find related NPCs and log entries:

## NPCs
```dataview
list from #place/landmark/circle-of-thunder
where type = "npc"
```

## History
```dataview
list from #place/landmark/circle-of-thunder and "pc-logs"
```

A Faction adds an additional lookup for related locations:

## Locations
```dataview
list from #group/faction/bregan-daerthe
where type = "location"
```

Tag structure matters for me, e.g. because it is #region/subregion/sub-subregion … I can get a broader index of anything in the region by specifying “#region/subregion” in the from (as the listed results contain any included sub tags).

I hope this makes sense. :wink:

9 Likes

There will soon be functionality to have something like:

list from ""
where file.name contains "Restaurant"

But not currently

2 Likes

All my projects have a field in the frontmatter “completedDate”, which I leave blank in until they are complete. Is there a way to query for projects that are not yet completed? i.e. for an empty field? Or is it bad form to leave an empty YAML field?

Try adding where completedDate = null

4 Likes

Thank you @arminta. It works great. These work too: completedDate="" and !completedDate

2 Likes

You can now use the contains function!

list from ""
where contains(file.name, "Restaurant")

For more on the functions available, checkout this page.

4 Likes

Using the contains function, you should now be able to achieve this! Or atleast create a list of daily notes from a previous year.

list from ""
where contains(file.name, "{{tp_date:f=MM-DD}}")
2 Likes

Is there a log update fro this plugin? I could not find any on github

log update? I’m not sure what you mean :sweat_smile:
The functions were released in this update:

Click on “Releases” on the right side to see a list of updates

2 Likes

A bullet list of what changed after the update
P.S.: Where can I find it?

Just to add in the link for @SkepticMystic’s picture
https://github.com/blacksmithgu/obsidian-dataview/releases

1 Like

Thanks! Links > Pictures of links :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Weird - it is returning 0 results. I set the folder (Journal/) wherein each year has a folder - but nothing. I changed it to this…

```dataview
list from ""
where contains(file.name, "03-10")
```

and got the list. Could you explain the bits in curly brackets. Very sorry, as I realise this is a painfully newbie request!

Is it working the way you want after the change? :slightly_smiling_face:

Ahh sorry, I assumed you were using the Templater plugin! The part in brackets fetches the current date {{tp_date}}2021-03-10 when you run the template.

{{tp_date:f=MM-DD}} returns the current month MM and day DD03-10.

f= means “use this date format:”

1 Like

Ah! Putting it in my Daily Note template (yes , Templater) did the trick. I now get the list.
Ideally I would like each entry in the list to render in an ![[embedded preview]]. Is that feasible?