Data loss when writing and quitting immediately after

I’ve found a data loss bug in Obsidian. This has already bitten me a few times (unknowingly) and I lost some important information before I realized what was going on.

I recorded a video below that shows it “in action” on the latest macOS + Obsidian insider version 0.10.1. This data loss bug has existed at least as far back as 0.9.x though—that’s when I first noticed it.

Steps to reproduce

• Enter / paste some text or content
  • Quit very quickly (within <2 seconds)

Expected result

• Data is saved :+1:

Actual result

• Data is lost :-1: :-1:

Environment

• Operating system: 11.1
  • Obsidian version: 0.10.1

I saw in the release notes for 0.9.12 something mentioned that might be related, just pointing it out in case it provides a starting place to look:

Screen recording

I think that’s not a bug but by design.
https://discord.com/channels/686053708261228577/694233507500916796/717420967617626212

I also remember @Silver saying that a couple of days ago, but couldn’t find it on the discord.

I read the Discord chat and understand waiting for a 2s pause after typing to save BUT:

That doesn’t explain why there’s no call to the save function upon quitting the app to prevent this data loss.

2 Likes

THanks for the report. We will improve this.

1 Like

will be fixed in v0.10.2

Very happy to hear this! Thank you :pray:t2:

I had Obisidan just decide not to save a few .Md’s I was editing and lost the data without even having to quit the app. Seeming pretty risky to use Obsidian for anything important…

I don’t think your issue is related to this fixed bug. You might try using a different solution for sync than Google Drive (see other thread). Contrary to this claim, your issue is very unlikely to be caused by Obsidian. Lost data - Obsidian is not safe