Dashboards or MOC automatic created via inline query

Hi. For years I wanted to have autogenerated Dashboards. Some people call it Table of Contents and some people call it MOCs. In Evernote I used a feature to generate a Table of Contents of the notes in a notebook. But it was not autogenerated or updated automatically. In Notion a lot of people create there own Dashboards. I did the same manually in Obsidian as this is now my prefered tool. Yesterday I saw the video of Curtis McHale https://youtu.be/mJZEMiqHtxQ about Track Books To Read in Obsidian. I am using this now to auto generate my Dashboards of folders or tags with in line query’s and it is 1000 x better then everything I have used before. It is updating all the time because the query is allways up to date. This is an example for a folder with an inline query.

```query
path:001_dossiers/10000-11000/10083_Efficy
```

or this for a tag

```query
tag:BNR10083
```
Super thanx @curtismchale

:bulb:If somebody can create a plugin to autogenerate a variable for the folder or the tage we can complete autogenerate all the Dashboards we need.

This changes my workflow complete and saves days in creating Dashboards. PLease test it and give me feedback because I think this the best feature of Obsidian.

12 Likes

This is awesome. I have a bunch of notes that are templates for stuff (like common things I might say to clients) all tagged with #template. I used the embedded query to create a note that lists all the templates in one place.

1 Like

The thing is though that the queries will not create links. At least in the link overview they did not show up. I did not check the graph :thinking:
I agrees it would be a very useful feature.

I before I was thinking to write a small Python script to update my MOCs. That is the thing I love most. It is all text so it is very easy to manipulate.

Mine makes links. I click anywhere on the gray bar and it takes me to that note:

1 Like

Yes I also get results where I can click on and it goes direct to the note. It is awesome.

I am testing now two other things. Starting the Dashboards from my Stream Deck. That works almost perfect. Some finetuning is needed.

Another thing is I want to create inline query from all files like txt. pdf, jpg, word en excel. But I get npo results. The query only sees MD files.
Does anybody now how to do this?

I’m wondering what the possibilities are or the syntax is for the query command. I would really like to be able to exclude the current file from the query. Then, it’d make for a fearsome backlink footer for my notes. Is that possible?

1 Like

This whole idea, to me, is beautiful and necessary for almost any application or use case. I want to turn Obsidian into a CRM so I can keep track of time, things, people, calls, actions, contracts, the usual stuff. I don’t know why everybody and their uncle isn’t elevating this dashboard feature - I mean a more formalized/organized M.O. as to how to see all your pending life in a main screen and then click through - to the top of the heap. I’m still waiting for the ability to act on a found set of items. (other than just text copy). I think that would add more capability so that a working dashboard layout/scheme/methodology could be realized…

1 Like

Hi. Can you explain more in detail what you want?
I am using things like this
```query
“path:000_Dashboard” OR tag:Dashboard
```
and that works perfect. You can use all Bolean parameters like AND OR. You test all your query’s in the search box and copy them.
For more advanced usecases I think you can have a look at the Obsidian Query Language plugin. I am testing with this plugin but it is not working for me.
Personally I think Obsidian is my most important application and I am a big fan. But I think it is not a CRM. If you want a CRM have a look at Efficy with a real database behind. If you want you can run Efficy in an Iframe inside Obsidian and that is awesome. Every record in Efficy has a URL and you can use that URL in your iframe for your calender or a contact or company in the CRM.

1 Like

You’re most welcome.

I would recommand you to use the Dataview plugin.
You can find it here:
Obsidian Dataview
Now I use it to view all my books, articles, movies and notes, and it works quite well. :smile:

5 Likes

WOW ! That’s amazing.
That said I am a bit confused about how to use it for things other than notes. Should I make a note with YAML metadata for each book or movie for example?

2 Likes

Sorry maybe I didn’t make it clear. I mean, create a note for each book, movie and article with a YAML metadata, and then you can view them in a table view.

2 Likes

I was actually looking for such a thing, to sort my project by their priority, it is a godsend for me.I wish devs would make a thread for it here. I would like to request some features here rather than on the github

1 Like

Hi Alan. I have installed the Dataview plugin and I am testing. Looks great.

1 Like

Hi @AlanLee. Super thanx for the tip about dataview. Please have a look at the new page that @SkepticMystic has created. Dataview plugin snippet showcase
Dataview is the best solution for Dashboards.

1 Like

Hi @Thecookiemomma. You can do this and much more querys with the Dataview plugin. It is the most powerfull plugin for Obsidian. Dataview plugin snippet showcase
For excluding

1 Like

Is there a way to do this with sub-tags and nesting the links in a bulleted list. eg.

#javascript
#javascript/objects
#javascript/objects/object-literals
#javascript/functions
#javascript/objects/function-literals

Then have nested links such as:

Javascript

• Objects
    • Object-literals

I’m pretty sure it would be possible with the Dataview plugin, I forget the name of it.