Cut image (not copy)

What I’m trying to do

When I move image (“drag and drop”) from folder to obsidian note it will create copy somewhere in vault.
I want to cut image: move image from PC folder to Obsidian folder wihout duplicating.

Things I have tried

I’ve searched all Settings.

You can drag & drop a file from outside Obsidian holding Ctrl (Windows/Linux) or Option (mac) creating an absolute link to the file. Is that what you mean? It will end up looking like this (on Windows):

![dragged image.png](file:///C:%5CUsers%5CUSERNAME%5CDesktop%5Cdragged%20image.png)

https://help.obsidian.md/User+interface/Drag+and+drop#Dragging+from+outside+Obsidian

More examples here:

If nothing else, you can move the file in your system file browser (Finder, Windows Explorer, etc.), then link or embed it in Obsidian.

Not exactly. I want move it like before, but delete oryginal image (in PC folder).

Understood. I was thrown off by the not duplicating part.

Hmm. Hopefully someone can chime in, but as far as I know Obsidian can’t do anything outside your vault without maybe the use of dataviewJS or Templater running code. I don’t see how Obsidian could sent a “cut/delete” command to the Finder or Windows Explorer after the image is pasted (and copied) into your vault.

Personally, I would drag & drop as usual, then delete the original image outside the vault manually.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.