CTL-N does not seem to make new note

Steps to reproduce

I type CTL-N in Windows version.

Expected result

I expect a new note.

Actual result

No new note is seen. If it is there, it is not displaying.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • I am using Obsidian 1.1.9
  • Debug info:

Not sure this is debug, but I tried going into “restricted Mode” so all the Community Plugins are disabled. The problem persists.

CTL-N used to work just fine.

I checked in the hotkeys to see if I had accidentally assigned CTL-N to another task. I had not.

Any new plugins lately that you can remember? After turning on restricted mode, did you restart Obsidian? (some plugins aren’t actually off/unloaded until a restart in restricted mode).

How’s the Sandbox working? I’d try there next.

This means to run the Obsidian command “Show debug info” and paste it here.

Last updated 10 months ago. It’s amazing more things aren’t broken. Obsidian v1.0 came out in October. GitHub - davidgolding/obsidian-big-sur-aesthetic Try a different theme.

Unless you’re using a new beta theme?

PROBLEM SOLVED. Not sure what did it, so here are the steps taken in case the information may be of use:

I restarted while in restricted mode. The first time I hit CTL-N, it worked (I got a new file). The second and subsequent times I hit CTL-N, it did NOT work: no new file.

for rigarmarole: here is the debug information-

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.9
Installer version: v1.1.9
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.19044
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: light
Community theme: Big Sur Aesthetic v0.0.0
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.

I tried updating themes while in restricted mode. The only two themes wanting updating were “Blue Topaz” and “Shimmering Focus.” I had not been using those currently, but I did update them.

When I opened the Sandbox vault, everything worked fine. Every time I hit CTL-N, I got a new file.
After that, when I returned to my usual vault, CTL-N worked as it should.
I tried turning Community Plugins back on, and everything continued to work with new files every time I hit CTL-N.
I shut down Obsidian and restarted it. Still works!

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Weird behavior nonetheless. Report back if it happens again.

(Next time, check hotkeys too: maybe some plugin decided to take over ctrl+n, introducing a conflicting hotkey.)