Creating notes with the same references

Often, I have a collection of highlights, notes and quotes (literature note I guess) collected in one doc. Then I go through and pull out a highlight to a new note and write about it in the new note.

The problem is, I want most if not all of the tags and references from the literature note in the new note. And I have to copy them all manually and it’s such a pain.

Anyone have a better solution, plugin, feature?

I’m not sure if I understand what you want exactly, but you could try something like this:

In the original note, group all the “metadata” (tags, references) in a common section.
In the new note, make a block embed to the metadata section.

This way, no copy paste. If you ever add a tag to the original note, it will spread everywhere you made a block embed.

An alternative solution is to make a link to the original note in the new note. The new note would not contain the tags itself, but it would be very easy to retrieve.

Thanks david, both useful suggestions. I will try the first. I’m new to Obsidian, so I haven’t heard about block embed yet… Exciting!

Embedding text containing a tag doesn’t actually apply the tag. Here’s a request for a toggle that allows that type of functionality: Toggle to let embeds share tags/links

Although I don’t quite know how to do it, I imagine that if you standardized where you added the tags, etc, it would be possible to create a Templater script to do this.

I was trying to figure out how to do something similar and received some hopeful suggestions, but no Templater solution. On the other hand, I was able to create a little AutoHotKey macros to save some time. Here’s the link if you want to check it out: Copy text and block link to clipboard

You might consider checking out Note Refactor plugin, although it probably will be unable to accomplish what you want.

Good luck!

In the thread below there is a similar use case:

Generally speaking I’d highlight the excerpt to extract, trigger the template and extract the extra information from the frontmatter, create the new file with all info, and leave a link in the current file to the newly created file.

1 Like