Creating note on vault in WebDAV on Mac causes weird behavior

Steps to reproduce

1. On a Mac, connect to a WebDAV server to mount it as a “drive” in Finder.
  2. Create a vault in a directory in the mounted volume.
  3. Create a new note in the vault, rename it, and start typing.

Expected result

I can create and write in the note normally.

Actual result

Shortly after I start typing, the editor window suddenly closes. When I look over to the Notes sidebar, the new note doesn’t exist.

When I look in the Finder during this process, Untitled.md is created. After I rename the file, Untitled.md disappears, but a file with the new name does not appear for several seconds, if ever. Typing while the file doesn’t exist causes the editor to suddenly close. A JavaScript error in the console shows up with the message: “Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘/Volumes/dav/Notes/NewNote.md’” I assume the latency is caused by talking to the WebDAV server over the internet.

Even worse, if I try to edit any other file, it also closes shortly after I start typing.

I have tried removing the vault, removing the .obsidian directory, and creating a new vault from the vault’s directory, but I still have the same problem.

Environment

• Operating system: macOS 10.14.6 (18G6020)
  • Obsidian version: 0.8.15

Additional information

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of WebDav (personal opinion)
Could well be that the described behaviour is pure due to the WebDav setup…

I suggest opening a feature request for WebDav as we don’t explicitly support it.

Thanks for responding so quickly! I found out that there’s already a feature request for WebDAV, so I upvoted it.

Regarding RikD’s comment: I’m sure it was WebDAV that was causing my instability. Since switching back to a local vault, I haven’t had similar problems.

1 Like