Creating New Links via typing [[new links]] does not send the note to custom folder defined in settings

Steps to reproduce

1. Settings > Files & Links > Default location for new notes > “In the folder specified below” > XXX

2. Go to any new note, and type [[new note]] and then click on it.

Expected result

Expected the new file to be created in the specified XXX directory.

Actual result

This creates a new file in the root directory and not in XXX.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 11

Additional information

Maybe this is intended behaviour… But if that’s the case is it possible to create a setting for this for new notes created via links? Because this seems quite counterintuitive as I usually create new links via hyperlinking them, just as much as I hit ctrl-N, it doesn’t make much sense to have them be created in different areas.

Not what you want, but when creating a new link in a note, you can tell Obsidian where to create the file by specifying the path:

[[foldername/notename]]
2 Likes

Yeah I know, but it’s not a good fix if I have it multiple folders deep… I do this really often too, so having to type the foldername 80 times within an hour isn’t very feasible haha - I’m just letting it cesspool in my root directory for now until there’s a fix

1 Like

You could do a very easy workaround by creating a Templater template that inserts [[the_folder_you_want/ when you press a hotkey. Then all you need to do is type the name of your new note and close the link.

1 Like

Actually, on macOS with Obsidian v0.15.9 and installer v0.15.9, a new link / file will go to the default location for new notes as you want.

What version of Obsidian and what installer are you using?

For some reason, the setting you mentioned in your first post had got turned off in the preferences on my Mac; presumably by a recent update. Would it be worth checking / resetting that setting again?

1 Like

@syncretizm I can’t reproduce the problem. It works fine for me. Post a screen recording of this happening in the sandbox vault.