Create Daily Note as 2023/November/2023-11-02.md

Newbie to Obsidian here. Loving it so far.

I’d like to create a Daily Note in a folder structure like “Daily/2023/November/2023-11-02.md”. I followed the Automatic Subfolder section in Daily notes - Obsidian Help but setting ‘New file location’ to “Daily/YYYY/MMMM/YYYY-MMM-DD” didn’t work for me.

I’m not sure what I need to put into Settings/Core Plugins/Daily Note’s New File Location field to accomplish what I want. Can someone help me, please? Thanks!

I just use:

YYYY/MM-MMMM/YYYY-MM-DD

as date format and then have the folder name under which the notes appear as the new file location. That location has no “/” at the start but does at the end. You can adjust MMMM to what you need to get the month name.

Thank you for the reply. Do you mean like this?

I tried that, and it didn’t work for me… It gives me this error:

It shouldn’t go in the New file location, but rather in the Date format for the Daily notes setting.

Using the date format: [Daily]/YYYY/MMMM/YYYY-MM-DD, it created all the necessary folders, and a daily note with the name 2023-11-02.

Thank you very much! That solved it.

I noticed that the instructions in the Automatic Subfolder section on the help doc (Daily notes - Obsidian Help) is incorrect…

Interestingly, now that I’ve made that change, Obsidian no longer opens my one-and-only Vault when I launch the program. I have to select my Vault each time. Is there somewhere to specify?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.