Create an .obsidian git repository for multiple vaults

I have a large obsidian vault with different topics. I am struggling to search stuff into it. I want to split it into multiple more focused vaults.
But I also have a lot of plugins. Some of them aren’t necessary in some vaults.
I use git (with obsidian git) to manage all the vaults. I’m a developer so I can handle git myself if I want (but it’s comfortable to sync notes automatically).
I wonder if it’s better to have a git repository containing the .obsidian folder only and make the rest of my notes clone inside / symlink to this repo.
I can play with the .gitignore of the project if I want to configure a setting/plugin that applies only to specific vaults / uses multiple branches of .obsidian.
Not sure if it’s a good idea… Because I want to sync all my settings and plugins - but also make changes. I have a plugin that enables creating groups of on / off plugins so I can use it to manage my vault and put its settings in .gitignore. Does anyone create such a workflow with a git repository for .obsidian? What do you recommend doing?

Try searching for nested vaults.

You can also use folders and tags/frontmatter for different topics and dump everything in one vault.

I have different config folders for each platform with different settings for certain plugins, so I don’t fiddle with .gitignore.

Otherwise usually time sorts these things out and it’s good to follow forum posts for new ideas.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.