Create a note that linked to a specific paragraph in a pdf

As far as I know, annotator plugin doesn’t support area highlight or graph highlight

Use case or problem

When we have a pdf file added in a note and we want to write about a question, topic or anything else from the file in the notes, there is no way to link from the notes text directly to the content in the pdf file. I would be nice if we can create a link in the note which jumps directly to a page or section in a pdf file from the vault.

Proposed solution

My suggestion is a feature similar to that one which allow users create link to note sections. Therefore the user could add a page number or something else in the link definition which allows jumping directly to a text in the PDF file.

I would not like to see multiple links to the same file. What I want to is link to a pdf file already added in some other note. I do not want multiple links to the same pdf in multiple places. However, I can see value in both approaches for different scenarios.

Current workaround (optional)

None

Check out GitHub - elias-sundqvist/obsidian-annotator: A plugin for reading and annotating PDFs and EPUBs in obsidian.

Yeah, annotator plugin has a similar feature. But I see some issues:

• I need to highlight text to be able to create a link.
  • The text generated in the note to allow me to create a simple link is very ugly
  • I need a note just to open the file in the annotator. I would like to be able to create a link to any pdf embedded in some other note.

+1 Better integration with PDFs

1 Like

Citavi with high-level notes like Obsidian
or
Obsidian with Citavi-like PDF viewer/annotation management

would be my ideal thing. Citavi style approach of compiling multiple annotations into a simple knowledgebase is like magic

4 Likes

Expect to implement importing PDFs in Canvas for reading and to annotate any given text or paragraph, and the annotations can be composed into mind maps or other graphical relationships in Canvas. Different books can be put into the same Canvas, and these annotations will be recombined. This effect has been implemented by Marginnote and can be found at: Developer Stories - A Magical Pencil Box - How We Incorporated PencilKit into MarginNote 3.7 - YouTube

I use citavi5 before migrating to obsidian and Zotero. I have to say that citavi is the best one-stop academic reading and writing software except lack of flexibility. obsidian and Zotero gives me more freedom and function, but genuinely speaking I feel less productive and spending more time on drilling the knowledge management itself instead of discovering knowledge and experimenting on my own research field.

2 Likes

it would be great if the canvas in obsidian could have this feature, imaging what a magical reaction will happen when combining marginnote and liquidtext into a markdown-empowered text editor

+1 for something like in Logseq. The current solutions are either tedious or not elegant enough.

4 Likes

the development roadmap seems not direct in pdf annotation direction, still there are several plugins like annotator plugin, and markmind plugin that could do pdf annotation

EXCERPT İN OBSİDİAN

Is there a way to connect pdf to obsidian for excerpting function. (take selected notes from pdf to Obsidian DİRECTLY) ? Especialy with canvas feature…

İ m using margin note and excerpting feature is so valuable for me. İ m working academic and i cant imagine workspace without my pdf s.
İ really like obsidian but i didnt find a solution for connecting my pdf s in a same way i did in marginnote.

Proposed solution

i want to see selected pdf notes or pictures in obsidian notes directly and when i click on them i want to go visa versa ( to pdf)

Current workaround

There are export options (plug in) from taking notes from marginnote to Obsidian but İ wonder excerpting in Obsidian.

Best regards

2 Likes

Have your tried out markmind plugin or annotator plugin in obsidian? as far as i know,markmind plugin currently offers the most marginnote resemblance features in obsidian.

You can simply drag and drop highlights from Zotero to Obsidian, directly.

1 Like

This also works for excalidraw drawing,by the way , you have to use zotero6 and zotero built-in pdf reader to enable this feature,

Use case or problem

Suppose, you have a PDF within Obsidian Vault. Using built-in viewer, you can read it and browse it.

While reading, you find an idea or guide or illustration or reference or something.

While you can extract it to a new note, basically copying information from a book, ideally, you’d want to link to original, either page, but better - particular paragraph.

So, I’d want to be able to select a portion of PDF contents (text, image, whole page) and get a link to insert in my note, as if PDF and its contents is a first-class vault citizen.

Proposed solution

1. Right-click on page in Thumbnail view should produce “Copy link” option, which copies to clipboard already-supported syntax [[file.pdf#page=123]] link.

2. When user selects a portion of a pdf document, and right clicks it, same page link is copied to clipboard.
    2.1. If possible, the link to particular highlight in PDF is copied (so when you go on this link, same portion of document is selected/highlighted).

3. PDF files are properly represented in graph view, if there’s a link to particular page, it becomes separate entity (which is linked to pdf file itself).

Current workaround (optional)

No ideas. I suppose there is Annotator plugin, but it’s not supported and is not what I’m looking for here.

1 Like

Use case or problem

LiquidText is fantastic piece of software, but it is full of bugs and expensive. It allows to view multiple PDF files and to save excerpts on a workspace. There are then forward and backward links between the excerpts and the workpace.

What I have in mind is building on the current feature of Obsidian that allows storing and viewing of PDF documents. When viewing a PDF document, the text selection would bring a pop up window/menu allowing me to copy a link (text and anchor) to that precise location in the document. If memory serves me well, hypothes.is does have a similar feature for annotating PDF documents.

This way, a collection of notes could contain excerpts and links to PDF document.

Proposed solution

When viewing a PDF document, the text selection would bring a pop up window/menu allowing me to copy a link to that precise location in the document. If memory serves me well, hypothes.is does have a similar feature.

Essentially, this would be an extension of the following markup: ![[Document.pdf#page=3]]. Something like: [[Document.pdf#^b15695]], where b15695 would uniquely designate a text selection. Depending of how easy this feature would be to implement, b15695 could also designate some cropping window in the document (page, upper left and bottom right coordinate).

2 Likes

Linking to specific part of a pdf will be implemented in v1.3.6.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.