Create a note that linked to a specific paragraph in a pdf

Thank you for informing me. The plugin offers a good annotation experience but it doesn’t provide area-highlight function

@Ocarinalover The following plugin supports area highlight, if I understand you correctly:
MarkMindCkm/obsidian-markmind: A mind map, outline and pdf annotate tool for obsidian

Also, it supports committing/saving highlights to the original PDF document.

There is another issue discussing saving comments to the original PDF document.

1 Like

Same as I thought!

1 Like

This is quite a good solution, thank you for suggesting this plugin. I have tried it and found it still has space for improvement. and maybe other kinds of solution could be better (maybe not contaminate the vault with lots of text for labeling purposes)

I want to add my support to this request. These functions would be of great help in doing research

1 Like

This seems to be a great logseq workflow, if I can replicate in Obsidian. There are some workarounds for annotating but block referencing and indentation remain an issue.

4 Likes

This requires that obsidian implements robust URI natively. The plugin Advanced URI does this but this feature must be implemented natively. This is the main reason why I switched to Craft for the time being until the developers implement this.

Nonetheless the obsidian community is a great resource :slight_smile:

1 Like

A lot of people migrating from Citavi could make the jump once this is implemented. Logseq seems the example to follow.

1 Like

Would love to see this feature!

Liquid Text recently implemented this. Would be nicer to have something that works within Obsidian without the need to use another app for PDF management

I already made a similar request, however, it never got much attention.

I am at a loss as to why, but it seems there is not enough user demand for this feature to become a core feature. I hope I am proved wrong. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You can use the annotator plugin

+1

I think this feature makes a lot of sense for anyone who works with PDFs. Obsidian allows us to import PDFs, but unlike pictures, PDFs have a lot of pages. It can be hard to make use of information from different pages unless we can organize it according to our notes. In order to better incorporate PDFs into our notes, it would help if we could link specific paragraphs to notes.

simply highlight and annotation of pdf could already be realized by annotation and markmind plugin

As far as I know, annotator plugin doesn’t support area highlight or graph highlight

Use case or problem

When we have a pdf file added in a note and we want to write about a question, topic or anything else from the file in the notes, there is no way to link from the notes text directly to the content in the pdf file. I would be nice if we can create a link in the note which jumps directly to a page or section in a pdf file from the vault.

Proposed solution

My suggestion is a feature similar to that one which allow users create link to note sections. Therefore the user could add a page number or something else in the link definition which allows jumping directly to a text in the PDF file.

I would not like to see multiple links to the same file. What I want to is link to a pdf file already added in some other note. I do not want multiple links to the same pdf in multiple places. However, I can see value in both approaches for different scenarios.

Current workaround (optional)

None

Check out GitHub - elias-sundqvist/obsidian-annotator: A plugin for reading and annotating PDFs and EPUBs in obsidian.

Yeah, annotator plugin has a similar feature. But I see some issues:

• I need to highlight text to be able to create a link.
  • The text generated in the note to allow me to create a simple link is very ugly
  • I need a note just to open the file in the annotator. I would like to be able to create a link to any pdf embedded in some other note.

+1 Better integration with PDFs

1 Like

Citavi with high-level notes like Obsidian
or
Obsidian with Citavi-like PDF viewer/annotation management

would be my ideal thing. Citavi style approach of compiling multiple annotations into a simple knowledgebase is like magic

4 Likes