Command/hotkey to toggle plugins

I was unsure whether to post this as a feature request or plug-in idea. But I hope that as a plug-in idea it might be implemented faster :innocent:
I just don’t have the knowledge myself to build a plug-in.

Use case or problem

I want to be able to enable/disable certain plug-ins with a command/hotkey (for each plugin I’d like to toggle that way).

Why?
I have a lot of plugins but I don’t always need all of them. They are just for convenience in certain situations or add features that I need on some occasions only. Having them all enabled takes more time on startup. So I disable those I don’t use regularly.
It would be cool to be able to toggle them on and off with a hotkey, so that I don’t need to open settings, search for the plugin and then enable/disable it.
For example: take the cmenu. It’s an awesome plugin, but it is among the slowest to load on startup (500 ms). It’s also not always necessary to have the menu open, so it would be cool to just toggle the whole plug-in with a hotkey to show the menu only when I need it.

Proposed solution

Add an option to designate a command/hotkey for each installed plugin. Make it optional on a per plugin basis (to not clutter the command pallette. not all plugins need a toggle).
This could also be a plug-in idea

Current workaround (optional)

Not really a workaround but currently I am opening settings and toggle plug-ins there. But it’s less convenient.

Related feature requests (optional)

This might be related but has a different request (delay instead of command):
https://forum.obsidian.md/t/delay-loading-plugins-when-open-obsidian/24109

13 Likes

It looks like what BRAT can do. Can you check it?

2 Likes