Collecting text from multiple notes under the same heading

Things I have tried

I have googled and read documentation quite a bit but have not found a solution to this.

What I’m trying to do

I want to use daily notes to write in diary style things I need to jot down during the day. I have a project folder with notes for each project, but I would still like to keep daily notes that keep track of what happens that day. However, I would like to be able to indicate that parts of my daily note is related to certain projects. E.g., if I have a folder called projects and a project called tomato I would like to be able to e.g. use the heading tomato and have all of what is written under there show up in my tomato project note (projects/tomato). Kind of similar to what checklist or task does, but for headings I guess. Any ideas how to solve this?

An example with dataview plugin (notes need to be written as a bullet point lists under a specific under).

Daily Notes

2022-11-02

Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Sed erat nulla, scelerisque at consectetur vel, lobortis quis mauris.

## tomato

- this note is related with the project "tomato"
- need to talk with john about the main page
- metting with the team

other things under the same header/section that I don't want to collect
- need to plan next steps

## another subject
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Integer aliquet eu nibh sed pharetra. Praesent sit amet magna vel lacus condimentum finibus id ac quam.

2022-11-04

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Integer aliquet eu nibh sed pharetra. Praesent sit amet magna vel lacus condimentum finibus id ac quam.

## tomato
This is a global summary:
- review phase 3
- define tasks to the next phase

Other content...

## books
Praesent sit amet magna vel lacus condimentum finibus id ac quam. 

tomato

(dataview query)

TABLE WITHOUT ID
	key AS "Date",
	rows.L.text AS "Tomato notes"
FROM "your/folder/path"
FLATTEN file.lists AS L
WHERE meta(L.section).subpath = this.file.name
GROUP BY file.link
  • replace "your/folder/path" by your daily notes folder path
  • if project title different from header title, you can also replace WHERE meta(L.section).subpath = this.file.name by WHERE meta(L.section).subpath = "tomato"

9 Likes

Thanks a lot! Works nicely. In the daily note I enter the headline as links, e.g. # [[/project/ongoing/tomato]], this way I am certain that I don’t misspell “tomato” (in this case).

Do you think it will be possible to get the section below the heading in the near future, not just only a list? And possibly not displayed as a table?

I’m not sure if I understand your goal. Something like this?

LIST rows.L.text
FROM "your/folder/path"
FLATTEN file.lists AS L
WHERE meta(L.section).subpath = this.file.name
GROUP BY file.link

If not, please leave a schema.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.