Clutter free edit mode

Not sure why any of these are not working for me. Pasted that last one to the bottom of the obsidian.css file.

Maybe try adding ā€˜!importantā€™ for each line?

1 Like

Maybe try adding ā€˜!importantā€™ for each item?

1 Like

Like so?

I think youā€™re editing the obsidian.css.md file, because Obsidian doesnā€™t let you open CSS files directly.

Try finding this file in your file explorer, and renaming it to obsidian.css without the trailing .md.

1 Like

So this is embarrassingā€¦like you said, I was editing an obsidian.css.md file that was in one of the template workflow folders Iā€™d gotten from the forum some months back.

I did try to do it in the css file itself, but I failed. Iā€™ll try again and worst case Iā€™ll wait for someone to work it into their plug-in. Thanks everyone.

Please make sure itā€™s in the vault root, turn on the Apply obsidian.css option, and remove the .md extension. That should be all thatā€™s needed to make it work.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

Thank you! Iā€™ve removed the .md extension and placed it in this folder.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 7.23.19 AM

The vault root is one level above, in the same level as .obsidian, not in it.

1 Like

Thank you for being patient. I searched my drive and it seems I had 3 different Obsidian.css files that came along with the workflow templates from way back. I deleted everything and retained one copy.

That did it =)

Hiding html tags

I have been experimenting with highlighting text with different colors, using <span> html tags.
For example: <span style='background-color:Pink;color:black'>text here</span>

When using the following the following css to hide the html tags in editor however, the css snipet only hides <span> and </span> but does not hide the style='background-color:Pink;color:black' portion.

Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks!

Additional Info

See Gif

hideHtmlTags.css /* hide all html tags */ div:not(.CodeMirror-activeline)>.CodeMirror-line span.cm-tag { display: none !important; }
1 Like

Iā€™ve been wondering about how to remove the rest of the text within HTML tags as well. Closest I can come up with is:

div:not(.CodeMirror-activeline) > .CodeMirror-line span.cm-attribute{ display: none; }
div:not(.CodeMirror-activeline) > .CodeMirror-line span.cm-string{ display: none; }

This still leaves the equals sign visible (the one after the "style" attribute). I'm trying to tell myself that this is be a good thing, as it shows that something is there.
2 Likes

This! This is a game-changer, thank you! Obsidian looks so clean, now.

I wanted to keep hashtag symbols, because my hashtags look like pills and it gets all cut off without the hash symbol. If anyone else wants this, just change this:

/* except list markers */ span.cm-formatting-list,

To this:

/* except list markers */ span.cm-formatting-list,
/* and hashtags */ span.cm-hashtag

:+1:t3:

@terheyden: there is a way to hide the # character in Preview.

1 Like

Any way to make checkboxes still work when the tab indent is increased in Appearance settings? When I move the slider up, suddenly markdown checkboxes disappear.

Could you elaborate? I am looking for a solution to hide the # character in Preview Mode.

This thread was looking to do the same thing, but no clear solution was ever proposed.

@Conchobar the # is never displayed in Preview mode, which is now called Reading mode.

So, I assume you are referring to Live Preview mode. Are you sure the # is displayed in LP? Are you in LP mode?

If you are, and the # is displayed, try this:

.cm-formatting-header {
    display: none;
}
1 Like

Ah, I see the disconnect, my mistake. No, I use primarily ā€œSource modeā€ and ā€œReading modeā€ and am trying to eliminate the ā€˜#ā€™ from displaying in #tags in Reading mode.

I have searched far and wide in the forums and tried many different things but can find no solutions. Iā€™d even settle for removing the ā€˜#ā€™ character altogether from Reading mode but could not figure out how to accomplish that myself.

I tried this code, but it doesnā€™t seem to work anymore. Is there any actual way to remove brackets from links and other elements in edit mode?

You could also ask in the #appearance channel on Discord, where there are a number of very knowledgeable gurus.