Close obsidian window with cmd w on mac. Leave app running for faster launch

On mac, cmd-w typically closes the window when there are no more tabs in a window (e.g., google chrome behaves like this). It would be nice to have this be the hotkey for obsidian too.

Right now cmd w doesn’t do anything after you’ve closed all the panes.

EDIT: To be clear I want cmd-w to close the window of Obsidian. I don’t want it to close the entire app. On macs, you close the window but the app is still running. This makes launch faster.

8 Likes

But when there are still tabs open Cmd-W closes a tab, which is normal behaviour on other apps too.

To close an app on Mac you can do Cmd-Q, which works on all apps, also on Obsidian.

Therefore, like on Chrome, in Obs I have set Cmd-W to close a pane.

1 Like

If I wanted to close Obsidian entirely, I’d Cmd+Q.

That said, Cmd+W (with no open panes) would be great for closing the vault, especially when you have more than one open.

5 Likes

Obsidian does not behave like chrome right now.

Chrome with 2 tabs open:

1. hit cmd-w, tab closes. one tab left.
  2. hit cmd-w, window closes.

Obsidian with 2 panes open:

1. hit cmd-w, pane closes. one pane left.
  2. hit cmd-w. nothing happens

Note for chrome, when you close the last tab, chrome is actually still running in the background and you have to hit cmd-q to quit the app, yes.

Almost all other apps operate this way where both cmd w closes the last window or tab and leaves the app running in the background. For example, nvalt, the archive, spotify, textedit, outlook, vscode, preview, etc.

It’s a matter of muscle memory.

I did NOT say Obsidian behaves like Chrome.

I stated that, as with other apps, incl. Chrome, Obs can be closed with Cmd+Q. You can close Chrome that way, and Obs also.

Cmd+W is not a shortcut to close apps, Cmd+Q is, so you already have a shortcut to close Obs.

@3mbry0’s suggestion to have Cmd+W close a vault if there are no open panes is a more sensible use of Cmd+W.

1 Like

Ah, I get your point - you’re saying that Obsidian is a subset of Chrome’s behavior (in terms of tabs / panes closing).

I think @3mbry0’s suggestion would effectively be the same as my suggestion though, wouldn’t it? Unless you add special logic to not close the last vault…

I don’t want cmd-w to close the app, I just want it to close the window but leave it running as a background process.

Obsidian takes a little bit to load, it would be nice to have it be faster when launched with a hotkey (hence leaving it running it background).

A subset of Chrome’s behaviour? Errr, no. I mentioned Chrome as an example, but that does not imply Obs being a subset.

I don’t want cmd-w to close the app, I just want it to close the window but leave it running as a background process.

OK, understood.

Besides faster launching, there’s another reason this feature matters: when Obsidian is not running in the background, launching an Obsidian URL will not take you to the corresponding note. I think there was a discussion in discord about this behavior and turns out it’s a limitation of Electron.

I’d like to leave Obsidian running 24/7 on my Mac because the URL scheme doesn’t work properly otherwise.

2 Likes

when Obsidian is not running in the background, launching an Obsidian URL will not take you to the corresponding note

This. I have a hacky workaround in my Alfred script that checks first if Obsidian is running, and if not, launch it, wait a little bit and then fire the URL scheme. Ugly but it works.

I guess this bug is in the underlying Electron framework itself? Hope somehow they figure out a workaround or an upstream fix. URL schemes are key to my workflow.

Not quitting the app when the windows are closed would be great “for now”.

Seconded, this would be a good usability addition.

I would like to add that in addition to the “close pane” and “close other panes”, a “close all panes” functionality would be quite handy when dealing with multiple vaults – mapping this to ⇧⌘W (Mac standard for this functionality) would remove the need to reach for the mouse to close the vault window.

(I have a custom shortcut defined for this so not very urgent, but it would of course be preferable if this were supported in the app.)

I was about to make the same feature request. Lacking this just feels like a UX bug.

I came here to make this same request. Pressing Cmd+W should close panes, until there are no panes, at which point it should close the window.

Particularly with Sync being a thing, there are good reasons to leave the app running with the windows closed, and I’d just as soon be able to do that without using a mouse. Thanks!

1 Like